Ray

My Passion Project

So I finally did it. And I did it on MD.

What did I do?

Glad you asked.

I launched a distraction-free daily newsletter around one of my favorite sources of inspiration and hope - The Bible.

For me, The Bible is a library of 66 books, hence the name of my (fairly) new site - Library66.com

How am I using Marketers Delight?

Marketers Delight provides a clean, minimalist canvas to highlight the most important aspects of my new venture. The content.

1. Having the flexibility to customize the background color, text color, link-text color, text spacing, and top/bottom height in the header was a great start during the development phase.

2. I added a (bold) subscribe button to the header menu which draws the attention (of desktop visitors) to the most important call to action on my site. The button looks great, and took less than 2 seconds to apply.

3. As with all digital newsletters, it's important to offer an archive of past newsletter issues. So for this, I decided to use The Stream. Using The Stream as my newsletter archive gives tells potential subscribers that Library66 is a different kind of newsletter. The care and attention to detail I'm showing the archive is indicative of how important Library66 is to me, and I believe it will lead to greater engagement and a great source of email subscribers.

4.  Using the Content Spotlight widget to showcase my featured content. 

5. Enabled the share buttons at the bottom of my posts, but I might try the Share Notice Editor Block instead.

6. I'm currently hosting the opt-in form/page on a subdomain but would like to use an Email Page Lead (site wide). Just waiting to get my hands on MD 5.0

Which plugins am I using?

1. LuckyWP Table of Contents - activate. You can see it on all of my featured posts.

2. Rank Math SEO - active. I don't think I'm going to keep it, but for now, it's my SEO plugin of choice.

3. Classic Editor - inactive.

What else?

Library66 is growing and I'm getting a lot of positive feedback on the speed and look of the site so Kudos to @Alex :)

If you have any suggestions on how I can improve/optimize my site or make better use of MD's features, feel free to submit your feedback below.

Edited by Ray
I removed the 'Buy me a coffee' button from the email, so I wanted to come back and remove mention of it from this post.

I consult, create products and brainstorm all day

Library66 is easily my favorite newsletter and always the first email I check in my inbox every morning.

15 hours ago, Ray said:

3. As with all digital newsletters, it's important to offer an archive of past newsletter issues. So for this, I decided to use The Stream. Using The Stream as my newsletter archive gives tells potential subscribers that Library66 is a different kind of newsletter. The care and attention to detail I'm showing the archive is indicative of how important Library66 is to me, and I believe it will lead to greater engagement and a great source of email subscribers.

I haven't thought of the Stream for this purpose and I LOVE it! I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the most highly visited page on the site.

16 hours ago, Ray said:

4.  Using the Content Spotlight widget to showcase my featured content. 

Very well designed and love the images you found (or made?) to design these widgets. You have always been an expert with the Content Spotlight on your sites!

16 hours ago, Ray said:

5. Enabled the share buttons at the bottom of my posts, but I might try the Share Notice Editor Block instead.

Very curious to see how you use Share Notices. :)

16 hours ago, Ray said:

6. I'm currently hosting the opt-in form/page on a subdomain but would like to use an Email Page Lead (site wide). Just waiting to get my hands on MD 5.0

It's my dream to make these kinds of optin forms/templates a breeze with MD; version 5.0 should get us there.

-----

I'd like to make a suggestion to make the blog teasers listing typography more attractive. Here is the styling I did to make the make the subtext more complementary rather than dominant over the headline:

10290260_ScreenShot2019-11-06at9_50_50AM.png.7464b661276711d92277e1706230b0d8.png

The simple styles:

.blog-teaser .small-title {
    font-size: 22px;
    line-height: 31px; 
    margin-bottom: 6px;
}

.blog-teaser .byline { display: none; }

.blog-teaser p {
    color: #777; 
    font-size: 16px;
    line-height: 25px;
}

Keep up the great work and really excited to watch this project expand.

• Like 1

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.