Some French Dude

Best Marketing Pratice > MOST EFFECTIVE List Building Strategies with MD?

Guys, Community, @Ray, @Alex

MD stands for MARKETERS... delight.

M-A-R-K-E-T-E-R-S!

What I am doing here is igniting a kind of brainstorming thread that might be extremely beneficial to ALL OF US.

Here is my question: WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE THE TOP 3 MOST EFFECTIVE PRACTICES / TOOLS TO INCREASE YOUR MAILING LIST?

In other words: What are the most beneficial tools in MD today to build your list? And especially how to bets use them?

• Like 1

Let me provide my own answers.

QUESTION 1: How to best use existing MD features to build your email list? 

Thought #01: FREEBIE or NOT FREEBIE

I am wondering what is the most effective way of using Email Form and Popups on my web site to build my list of potential future customers (as opposed to simple subscribers that will NEVER pay ). Here are my thoughts.

You can read EVERYWHERE that you should absolutely provide a FREEBIE to build your list. The thing is that MANY people will JUST subscribe to get the freebie. They will increase your list for... nothing. They might never become your customers. They may force you to pay extra to MailChimp or similar services...

I am tempted not to provide a freebie. Or to provide a "freebie" for ONLY $1 or $2 to filter the less serious person. Who can't pay $2?

ANY EXPERIENCE on that?

Thought #02: ONE SINGLE POPUP vs. MULTIPLE POPUP

Option a: Do you think it is best to enforce the SAME CONSISTENT message everywhere on your site with the same, consistent POPUP?

Option b: Or is it best to have contextual popups and offers very different messages, hoping one will hut the target and convince the visitors?

I see option a as much more selective to refine and capture a niche audience  than option b, that might be better to get more subscribers and please your ego. But which one is best in terms of business results? Has anyone a view on this?

Thought #03: Email Form (option A) Vs Image-to-Popup (option B). Which strategy is the most effective?

Which one do you think is best:

Option A: The opt-ion form on the right hand side, capturing immediately the emails.

image.thumb.png.a333c57cacd314d905c4a5ff10121d2a.png

Option B: The IMAGE + TEXT on the left, followed by the Popup (below, next image).

image.thumb.png.3b8f6792f0bf340f06154118b4bdcc83.png

image.png.c816a4d7c34b57416abd65f83bedffb6.png

Hey,

I'm hardly the guy you want advice from when it comes to building your list, but here are my thoughts.

You really won't know what works for your site and your audience until you try a few things.

Try all of it or none of it, but the beauty of MD is that you have all of those options.

Everything is really just theory until you find out what works for YOUR audience.

However, my list building success has almost always come down to presenting an experience that's true to the niche and audience I'm trying to serve. So with that said - you should get to know your audience and design your onboarding process to fit them.

I consult, create products and brainstorm all day

Sorry I am late to this thread—EPIC idea!

On 10/30/2019 at 5:50 PM, Some French Dude said:

You can read EVERYWHERE that you should absolutely provide a FREEBIE to build your list. The thing is that MANY people will JUST subscribe to get the freebie. They will increase your list for... nothing. They might never become your customers. They may force you to pay extra to MailChimp or similar services...

I am tempted not to provide a freebie. Or to provide a "freebie" for ONLY $1 or $2 to filter the less serious person. Who can't pay $2?

ANY EXPERIENCE on that?

It's true that many people will join your email list just for the freebie, but if you can structure your funnel properly the ideal thing that happens is as follows:

1. Somebody signs up to your newsletter to download your freebie
  2. Your freebie is genuinely valuable and leaves an impression on them/teaches them something profound
  3. Your freebie has a "next step" option to buy your higher ticket item like a product or hire you for your services

The best case scenario is that you sell your higher ticket items through offering a freebie—where you stand to make a lot of money, and the worst case scenario is you only gain an email subscriber (which is important for a variety of reasons). The $1/$2 idea severely limits those possibilities and I don't think will yield any worthwhile revenue.

To avoid paying for dead subscribers, you should clean out subscribers who haven't opened any emails in the whatever criteria you see appropriate Every few months I delete subscribers from the MD list who haven't opened the last 5 emails and I haven't missed any of them yet!

Option a: Do you think it is best to enforce the SAME CONSISTENT message everywhere on your site with the same, consistent POPUP?

Option b: Or is it best to have contextual popups and offers very different messages, hoping one will hut the target and convince the visitors?

I see option a as much more selective to refine and capture a niche audience  than option b, that might be better to get more subscribers and please your ego. But which one is best in terms of business results? Has anyone a view on this?

I'd say this one depends on your offer, but for most blogs I would recommend going with Option A and really nailing the offer. Come up with the absolute best text, best image, and best freebie/incentive, and run hard with it.

Once your site gets bigger and audience more diverse, that's where coming up with contextual popups could come in handy, and is something I have in mind for the upcoming MD popups builder. :)

Thought #03: Email Form (option A) Vs Image-to-Popup (option B). Which strategy is the most effective?

Again, this one all depends on the context and it's really more about when you place the signup offer. These days I know sidebar optins don't convert well (but I have an idea in MD to help revive the sidebar optin) and the absolute best ways to convert are

1) In-content offers (that's why I have created different call to action Blocks for the new post editor)

2) Floating bar offers (also coming in MD5.0)

The days of throwing optins in random places and hoping they stick are mostly over because we have figured out some of the best areas that these offers convert now.

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:22 PM, Some French Dude said:

WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE THE TOP 3 MOST EFFECTIVE PRACTICES / TOOLS TO INCREASE YOUR MAILING LIST?

1. Making a clear offer up front and going over-the-top to strengthen its value
  2. Creating consistent, engaging content to go along with it
  3. Repeat

From the beginning when you visit MD.com you see that I am selling a WordPress theme called Marketers Delight and from there you can read about everything it offers and read into its benefits. From there every other blog post, stream post, download, offer, and every other piece of content that follows it supports your purchase. You aren't just getting one download, but many supporting pieces that adds a lot of extra value.

The most sales and highest levels of engagement the MD email list makes is when I am emailing about a new version or release. General content and new tutorial newsletters do okay, but nothing gets my list more excited than something new that is ready for them to use.

Basically, value value value and then repeat.

Now this doesn't build my email list but it does strengthen it. The highest quality email list you can build is a list of those who have purchased something from you. The trust is already there since they have purchased from you, now it's just on you to keep adding value and not mess up, really.

• Like 1

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.