Some French Dude

Child Theme in 2019: What options are best?

Alex,

I just install MD on my site somefrenchdude.com

Once installed, should I combine it with the CSS? To be honest, being non-technical, I am not sure I understand the ins and outs of the 2 options below:

image.png.5e23e0ab237cc4c7d7bd315a37d516e7.png

Hey, good question here - these are two powerful options that can have a big implication your page speed.

Combine child theme CSS into style.css - that will merge the style.css of your child theme into MD's style.css file and load all of your site's CSS at once instead of splitting them into two HTTP requests.

Print style.css inline - This will directly print the stylesheet to your site's head without loading from a file, which means your CSS is instantly readable by a browser without it having to download the separate style.css file. I also have minified the CSS once printed to your head, so there is no faster way to serve CSS than enabling both of these options together.

The MD CSS system is unique and I am excited to do a video/more detailed documentation guide explaining how to use it even further but this should give you an understanding of these simple yet powerful options.

• Like 1

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.