Sign in to follow this  
Alex

New Personal blog

We create online businesses to serve specific needs through a specific voice that is calculated and stays on brand, though unfortunately at the expense of all the other wacko ideas and deep thoughts that may be valuable elsewhere. That's the value of having a personal blog and if you are lucky to own yourname.com, can create a body of work that lasts a lifetime.

Over the past week I've been reworking my own personal site in a way that fulfills any urges I have to write other kinds of content. It's not that I wouldn't share this kind of content anywhere else, there's just no better place to put them!

Many of us (myself included) are trying to build the most complicated sites and see how far we can stretch MD and WordPress, so this personal site allowed me to experiment with scaling down to build a website.

Let me tell you, MD made creating a pretty cool site super easy. Features I have activated throughout the site:

• Connected to MailChimp in the MD integrations panel
  • Showing one email form in multiple parts of website from one settings screen
  • Enabled the Stream to create a micro-blog
  • Enabled the Bookshelf to create a reading list page
  • Like and share buttons on blog and stream posts
  • Custom sidebars on Stream page (though disabled right now for future plans)
  • Changed some design settings in MD > Site Design and wrote minimal custom CSS to tone down default MD styles

...and none of this required any plugins! In fact, I only have one plugin enabled: The All in One SEO Framework (premium version).

I can't believe a site like this exists and is so fast, and using MD's features was just a joy! Not to gush too much of course, it's rare I can use MD in a relaxed environment without stressing about the flaws or getting lost in where I want to take it next.

Do you have your own personal sites you have made with MD? Reply here or post your own thread about it!

• Like 2

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.

I've been thinking about it myself, but for now my main business (personal training) needs 100% of my attention. Once I get that going like a well-oiled machine I plan on starting up a passion project personal site... just saying what's on my mind regarding topics like fatherhood, music, history, tattoos, fiction, etc. I'll post it here when it's up! B)

• Like 1