Ray

I Just Launched a Membership Site

note: This is probably not going to be grammatically correct, but I'm just gonna freestyle this one.

.  .  .  .  .  .

Back in January I began the long process of transitioning my business from a (fairly successful) Consulting biz to an Online learning co. The reason is pretty simple - I no longer want to trade time for money.

While I enjoy working 1:1 with my clients, I'm a lot more interested in working smarter, and not harder, so....

Turning my website from a simple (static) contact portal to a legitimate (dynamic) website capable of presenting text, audio, and video content to my subscribers has been painless.

I wanted my site to be lightweight, fast, flexible, and beautiful.

Which is why I had-to go with MD.

Without going into ever single detail (I'll save that for another time), I've successfully re-launched Raylosophy dot com as a content hub supported by subscriptions.

350+ paying subscribers later, and I'm still optimizing my site.

I want to offer a distraction free...content focused...mobile & web optimized experience, and thanks to Alexs' laser focused pursuit of perfection - Marketers Delight is making my job a lot easier.

Instead of worrying about which plugins I need to install, activate, deactivate, etc...I can spend that time testing the built-in features. Right now, I six plugins installed, and only 5 of them active.

1. Classic Editor - because I really hate Gutenberg.

2. Google XML Sitemaps - because its the smart thing to do.

3. Memberful - because I need to manage my membership site, and Memberful seems like the best option.

4. Really Simple SSL - because I want to support these developers, and every site needs to be secure.

5. Stripe Payments (inactive)  - because I might not KEEP Memberful. Instead I might want to simply deliver my daily content via email, and keep each "newsletter issue" archived on the site - in which case I won't need something like memberful. I might go with using a PayPal link and a simple login page for anyone looking to access the site.  The point is, I love plugins, but I love my supporters more - and providing the best possible experience is what I want to do.

6. Lastly, I'm using  WP Offload Media Lite - because I (again) want to keep my site lightweight, and storing images and downloadable content on Amazon (s3) is the way to go.

Okay, so this post is a little longer than I wanted it to be, but I've gotten so much value from the MD Forums that it's only right that I give a little back.

Alex gives us so much with MD that I always have to remind myself that Kolakube/MD is essentially, a one-man-shop.

Think about that for a sec.

He's running software company by himself, and has a critical hand in the businesses of thousands of entrepreneurs. I'm grateful for MD, and my success is MD's success.

Again - I apologize for spelling and grammatical errors, but I just wanted to get this out there.

Ray.

• Like 1

I consult, create products and brainstorm all day

Memberful's a pretty good option if you want something simple.

And moving away from 1:1 coaching/consulting towards something scalable and/or passive is ideal.

For me, the idea is to focus on one small aspect of my consulting.

I sold my service as "Monetization Strategies", however, more often than not, I found myself encouraging my client and trying to reassure them that moving forward and taking action is the only way to find out if their idea will actually work. 

We can do a ton of research, and we can validate our ideas, products, and service offerings, but at the end of the day - we have to just do something if we want to find out if the thing we're working on can become a real business.

Those sort of conversations led me to start publishing content, behind a subscription.

Anyway, good luck with your transition Ivan.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing all of this Ray, and I have to say that this new iteration of Raylosophy is the best yet and I am really enjoying my membership.

In fact Raylosophy is one of the best uses of MD I have seen, even in its simple form, because regular content is actually added to it. Forget any extra flare, you made it clear immediately what you have to offer and setup a simple payment process to turn it into a business. To see MD's cut and dry features being used to support a site with 350+ paying subscribers is the highest compliment you can pay me and I thank you for showing the way for the rest of us.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:36 PM, Ray said:

1. Classic Editor - because I really hate Gutenberg.

This is surprising to hear! It can drive me nuts sometimes but since MD's enhancements I can barely see myself writing in Classic editor again. I install Classic editor plugin on some sites because Gutenberg is totally overqualified in some cases.

I've talked about this in other posts but I think this editor can be a great longform content builder. My concern comes in as they try to shove every aspect of your website into the editor, which I believe is the wrong approach and why I am responding with the creation of the MD Builder.

I will certainly be doing what I can to make Gutenberg work as that longform content builder in MD, but am not motivated to go over the top with it. I'd be curious to hear more about what your gripes with it are.

3. Memberful - because I need to manage my membership site, and Memberful seems like the best option.

I have never seen this plugin before but I love its simplicity.

4. Really Simple SSL - because I want to support these developers, and every site needs to be secure. 

This plugin shouldn't be necessary but I have nothing against your reason to support the developers. :D

He's running software company by himself, and has a critical hand in the businesses of thousands of entrepreneurs. I'm grateful for MD, and my success is MD's success.

I very much appreciate to hear this and love the advantages of a one man shop in my own personal life. However I am realizing that to bring MD's potential to its highest (which is my biggest care in life) and for every one of you around here to get the most out of the software for your businesses, staying as a one man team is not for the best. I love the potential for the community to grow and help each other here, so I think this will come together organically. Until then, I am having so much fun and can't wait to show you all what's coming next. :)

• Like 1

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.

Haha! 

I think my hate for Gutenberg comes from the irrational side of my brain. The truth is, I'm finally used-to WP and really just want to publish content, but Gutenberg seems to get in the way. On your recommendation, I'll use a draft page to play around with Gutenberg. Maybe I'll learn to love it.

Then when it comes to Really Simple SSL - I don't need it, but like I said, I'm all about supporting certain developers, and I use it to facilitate the SSL functionality I get from Cloudflare. 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

I very much appreciate to hear this and love the advantages of a one man shop in my own personal life. However I am realizing that to bring MD's potential to its highest (which is my biggest care in life) and for every one of you around here to get the most out of the software for your businesses, staying as a one man team is not for the best. I love the potential for the community to grow and help each other here, so I think this will come together organically. Until then, I am having so much fun and can't wait to show you all what's coming next. :)

Like Jason Fried (Basecamp founder) says in most of his books, stay lean for as long as you can, and don't hire people until it hurts not to have help in that particular area.

You will have to hire/build a team, but stay lean for as long as you can.