Alex

Marketers Delight 5.0 Dev Notes

Hey Alex, would you be able to give a quick rundown of what is happening with page leads and how they will be impacted by the new version. As I use page leads on alot of my sites?

• Like 1

Closing out another night of MD5.0 development, I decided to get a little chatty and give you a 5 minute tour of the new Optins features. This has been the largest MD project yet and I am working on it almost every day (but definitely every night!) to get Alpha testing ready. Take a listen to my quick and dirty tour and let me know if you see anything you like!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg33htf2auazpd1/Screen Recording 2020-02-03 at 09.18 PM.mov?dl=0

• Like 1

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.

1 hour ago, amalseed said:

Hey Alex, would you be able to give a quick rundown of what is happening with page leads and how they will be impacted by the new version. As I use page leads on alot of my sites?

Great question, and one I will be addressing in more detail during Alpha testing.

Basically, Page Leads will no longer be included in MD5.0 and will need to be installed as a child theme dropin (I will be offering instructions and installations for anybody who needs it).

During the development of MD5.0 I have been taking the same high level measures as every other feature to ensure Page Leads will be fully compatible with MD5.0 sites, so you will not lose any data and will only have to perform the Dropin installation. From there you will still be able to use Page Leads if you choose, they will just not receive new features and only be maintained for any bugs/compatibility. Once the powerful MD5.0 is unleashed, the new full content building replacement system for Page Leads will begin as well.

So don't be afraid to continue using Page Leads on your site, they will be fully compatible with MD5.0.

• Like 1

- Alex

7 hours ago, Alex said:

Closing out another night of MD5.0 development, I decided to get a little chatty and give you a 5 minute tour of the new Optins features. This has been the largest MD project yet and I am working on it almost every day (but definitely every night!) to get Alpha testing ready. Take a listen to my quick and dirty tour and let me know if you see anything you like!

https://cl.ly/36711b24fd0e

The file isnt' available

Alright team, today's great progress on MD5.0 has revealed to me that the finer details are finally coming into place. To see what I mean, check out this quick new demonstration video... what do you think about the idea of "chain linking" your optins?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4xnh4t55pzfphv4/chain-link-optins.mov?dl=0

- Alex

MD5.0 will improve your site in many, many ways. Not only has the Typography admin settings got a revamp, but they have gotten much smarter and make it easier to make very good looking typography changes in less effort.

For instance, it is common to want body (paragraph) text to be one kind of font and headings a different font and even weight (probably more bold). While prior to MD5.0 this was possible, it was tedious in that you had to enter the individual settings for not only the body text, but for each heading just to get them all to look the same. This makes an otherwise smart typography system quite dumb, so MD5.0 chains your typography together in a much smarter way with the same level of in-depth customization control (if you need it).

First of all, with the simple devices switcher you can control the heading font sizes on desktop, tablet and mobile while seeing the current values MD's smart typography system calculates for you:

1753929765_ScreenRecording2020-02-13at06_57PM.gif.a63e8868bb9a46ab686bbd84f675f3d5.gif

Also take note of the h1's font family and font weight: by default it inherits the values you set in the body, which makes sense since your Body fonts are the global fonts that apply to every element on your page. There is nothing new about this functionality, but it's only until you stat adjusting the h2-h5 heading styles that you see the new difference:

664427625_ScreenShot2020-02-13at6_59_49PM.png.9f4a8c9ebba172548246487a9a71c980.png

You can see that h2 (and the other heading tags below it) will now inherit their styles from the main h1 tag, which means that all of your heading styles will follow suit with the main title tag. This makes sense because just as h1 follows the lead of the body tag, so do the h2-h5 tags follow the lead of the main title on the page. Now instead of adjusting the settings of every heading tag to get the same results, MD makes the sweeping changes for you (but don't worry, the true tweakers amongst you can still grind those individual details out!)

While a seemingly small detail, this has resulted an outstanding upgrade to how beautiful and scalable your typography will read on your site, and is just one of the many new details coming to MD5.0 that is going to propel your site to greater heights.

• Like 1

- Alex

*phew* building an optins/popup system is not easy and I can see why there are so many massive companies out there who charge you a monthly fee to enable popups on your website. I don't think any elements of your site should be a rentable feature, and the complexity overhead on that is way too much for, again, a single element of your entire website.

MD Optins will come with some seriously kickass and flexible optins that match your site, and will be open enough to create your own and even to import new templates from the future popups library coming to MD.com.

Gotta get through this hurdle now for a lot of time, money, and complexity saved in the future...

• Like 2

- Alex

A few cool things about the new MD Popups system:

• The live preview designer uses the same controls across all templates, so any content you add to your popup will morph across different templates, with adjustments being easy to make on the fly. This will make editing your popups easy since you will be using controls you are already familiar with!
  • From a design perspective, you can create custom colors and layouts in your popups and your fonts/spacing will all be inherited from the typography and colors control settings in the new MD Site Design panel. Rather than bogging you down with tons of font and color pickers, MD makes the absolute best assumptions with your very own preferences to make sure your text and spacing looks best—all you have to do is plug in.
  • The new popups settings panel makes it easy to create all of the popups you want and powerfully deploy them around your website. Popup Hotspots are still around too!
    802181130_ScreenShot2020-02-15at19_03.08-fullpage.thumb.png.c91f5937fe86be35e45f66c3954b3acb.png
  • There are four ways to show popups: Show after X seconds, Show after X% page scroll, Show on Exit Intent, and click on trigger. The [md_popup] shortcode works the same and can be copied from each popup you create, but is now a lot smarter about how it loads popups to your page
  • The new Popups loader on the frontend has been significantly locked down to make sure your popups only load ONCE. That means if you have a popup set to show after 5 seconds, and then also create a clickable trigger somewhere on the page, that popup template will be used for both popups instead of loading the template twice! This is an important optimization that the current popups system messes up on, and MD5.0 handed beautifully.
  • Speaking of performance, these popups are all HOMEMADE and do not rely on ANY kind of third party service, nor any kind of dependency like jQuery. The popups builder and attached scripts are all unique and handmade by myself for MD, and come in at a whopping 12kb JavaScript file that also powers the rest of the interactive features like share buttons, floating bars, menu toggles, and others. I find this to be an incredible accomplishment considering every single other optins system bogs your site now with incredibly bloated templates and scripts. In MD, you get the most power with the simplest code.
  • Cookies still work, and you can make your automatically displayed popups and floating bars disappear after any number of days you choose to set in the options panel.
  • Child theme developers, you will be able to really take control over your popups by editing their source code. Just find the popup template you wish to modify in MD's new templates folder and you can copy it right over to your child theme.
    2051006445_ScreenShot2020-02-15at7_16_57PM.png.59d06ea6e5e4b872a5c3de5526f9dcb3.png
  • In addition to the simple controls in the Popups Designer, you can also wipe any popup completely clean and write your own HTML and CSS to custom build popups right from the Live Previewer.
    2012356044_ScreenShot2020-02-15at7_11_46PM.thumb.png.f23488b6c88780c4745fd2be77cd6239.png

I am working on this project every day and I truly cannot wait to see what you all do with it.

• Like 1

- Alex

Hey Gregor, fine question and thank you for purchasing MD!

I am very close to the MD5.0 Alpha version and will begin opening that for testing as soon as possible. From there it will be easier to make a determination about the best release date. The good news is even if you start out on version 4.0, MD5.0 will offer an updater to safely port your website to the new data format and add these new features into your site.

- Alex

The new Popups Manager gives you powerful controls to quickly add popups all throughout your site. With simple commands like "All Categories" and "All Pages," you can ensure as many pages are being hit with your offers, yet also be strategic about which popups load to different parts of your site.

As it goes, there are always exceptions to the rule and sometimes that broad stroke you made doesn't apply to that one case. For those situations you have the power of the new Optins meta box, which allows you to fine-tune how your popups, floating bars, and email forms show on any individual page.

The Optins meta box will detect if any of the popups are being loaded on the page already and then give you the option to remove them in just a click. You can also re-add the same offer back, but with different display settings, or enable an entirely different offer to this page only.

I am still reasoning out the best way for this functionality to work, but think this will be very useful for making precise decisions about how your sensitive optin forms are loaded throughout your site.

2044288695_ScreenShot2020-02-17at11_18_04PM.png.d631e2aab542fd875e575aa315246b87.png

- Alex

Floating Bar optins have been found to be so effective in the last few MD sites I have custom built for people that I am taking extra attention to make them as flexible as possible. Not only can you create global Floating Bars around your site in MD > Optins > Floating Bars, but you will also be able to create custom Floating Bars per page/post/category with the same level of control from the handy new Optins meta box:

1772950238_ScreenShot2020-02-19at7_04_40PM.png.82e714750b3f13c705dc66b4654b5ce5.png

- Alex

The final stage of MD Optins is expanding the simple email forms system. Similar to the way you deploy Popups and Floating Bars, you can now create multiple email forms for quick deployment around your site with these new controls:

1186359731_ScreenShot2020-02-21at6_57_07PM.thumb.png.0bd73c42a8a886a2f5b21abec2e0e943.png

Each email form comes with some great customization options, including the ability to place these forms around different parts of your pages.

1168413543_ScreenShot2020-02-21at6_57_45PM.png.193808ee45816d2a82c86128bcca0f7f.png

Here's an idea of what a form that has hardly been customized looks like after the header. I am LOVING this design, and this new system will be the perfect replacement for anybody using Page Leads. @Maikel @maikman @amalseed

862863523_ScreenShot2020-02-21at6_58_35PM.thumb.png.dbc115e1556af977b25448316523e4e7.png

• Like 1

- Alex

MD5.0 is finally at a point where no new features need be developed, but everything needs testing and refining. Exciting and a huge milestone! Tightening up typography and some mobile styles tonight, shooting to get a video demo/email out for Monday and get the MD newsletter rolling again.

• Like 1

- Alex