Sign in to follow this  
Alex

MD + Upcoming GDPR Compliance

As brought up by @vertizio (see original thread), the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) regulations are soon coming into effect on May 25th, 2018 and the penalties for site owners who do not make their sites compliant are, well, pretty scary.

All site owners who collect any kind of data from European citizens will want to learn about their responsibilities as data controllers and take the appropriate actions to ensure the best form of compliance you can.

The Internet is a global place and whether or not you're in the EU or not, chances are you interact with European citizens in one way or another. And as you run a self-hosted WordPress installation with email signup forms, cookies, blog comments, and other kinds of messaging tools, any kind of data that is stored in your database or cookies makes you liable for compliance.

As Marketers Delight is used by many people in the EU, I have been reviewing what kinds of changes I can make to best help you make your site compliant.

I won't pretend to understand these laws to their fullest extent or tell you that the following changes will make your site fully compliant (MD's tools are only a small part of your site), but they will help you get closer to the best level of compliance you can get to. With confusing laws such as what's being proposed here, that's the best you can hope for.

Prior to the May 25th date, I will release an update to MD with the following changes:

1. Optional checkbox to verify optin consent

A new checkbox will be added to MD email form settings that allows you to add a required checkbox fields to all of your email optins that the user must click to verify that they consent to signing up to your newsletter. I know this seems frivolous and email marketers won't like it, but this will make your form "compliant."

2. A cookie banner feature will be added to the MD settings page

MD Popups uses cookies to store information about any timed popups you show to the user's browser. For compliance, users must be notified by you, the site owner, that your website stores cookies in their browser. There are already free plugins that do this, but MD will have its own that can be switched on in a click soon.

-----

Did I miss anything?

Again, these new updates do not guarantee compliance as the laws go outside of tools provided by MD such as your privacy policy, and how your email service provider collects subscriber data. You will need to be responsible for understanding the lengths at which your site collects data and how to best make them compliant under these laws.

If you have any questions or tips for the rest of us about how to best meet the compliance standards, post here and show us how you've made your site ready for these laws!

• Like 2

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.