Sign in to follow this  
Alex

The Kolakube Forums Grand Reopening!

Hello and welcome back to the Kolakube Forums! After a long break and admittedly boneheaded decision to move these forums, I couldn't be more excited to reopen it for business.

What are these forums about? What is a + Legacy Member?

Back in 2013, a hot topic of discussion around here was turning Marketers Delight into a standalone theme. This was something that was even voted on and the community was on board.

...it took me 2 years and countless rebuilds, but I'm happy to announce that Marketers Delight and Page Leads have been successfully converted into a standalone platform and are finally starting to make a mark in the WordPress community as a whole.

With MD becoming a more and more legitimate product, I've decided it was time to step up on support and get these forums running strong again. If you use Marketers Delight and have any questions on installing, setting up, or using the product, head over to the official Marketers Delight Support Forums to post your topic. Be sure to read this quick topic about asking for help.

If there are any features or improvements you'd like to see in Marketers Delight, feel free to post a topic about it in the Feature Requests forum and ask away!

...and already using Marketers Delight? You should show it off to the rest of the community in the classic Kolakube Showcase Forum!

As the community grows again around here, I'd love to create a Classifieds section for anyone looking for help making advanced customizations or is looking to promote their development services. For now I'm keeping things simple, but I'm very excited to get the community going around here again!

I can't post yet, how do I get support here?

If you've just recently purchased a Kolakube product or just registered a new account on these forums, your account will not be permitted to post replies or topics here. That's because your purchase must be manually verified before you can start getting support here. Support is available for verified customers only.

As you register on these forums, a Kolakube Staff member will screen your account and check to see if you've already purchased a product. If we can verify your status without getting in touch, we will promote your account into the Customer group where you will have unrestricted posting access to the support forums.

You can help speed up the process by filling out the Kolakube contact form with 1) the email you purchased Marketers Delight with and 2) Your support forum username.

Once you're all setup, you can head over to the MD Support Forums to start getting help!

My account says I'm a + Legacy Member, what does that mean?

If you were a member here before, you may have noticed that your account has been moved into the + Legacy Member group. This means that you're a veteran member of the community and have unrestricted access to the MD community forums (new customers do not get this rank!).

Remember, the Kolakube community is private and only accessible to other Marketers Delight customers so you know that whoever you're talking to on this forum also uses Marketers Delight.

What the hell happened to the old forums?

I'll end this topic on this note. This is very painful to write but I'm going to go for it anyway.

If you were a member of the old Kolakube forums, you may be interested in finding out why I essentially left them for dead. It's no secret throughout the history of Kolakube that the support infrastructure has always been a hit or miss and I take full responsibility for letting things fall apart.

As I made the transition from developing Thesis skins to standalone themes, I went all in on WordPress and that included the little forum plugin called bbPress. I made it my goal to convert the forums from what you're looking at now to bbPress, despite how little features bbPress had. I was determined, with my newfound "passion" for WordPress to develop the missing features and run a lively support forum there. Looking back, this is probably the biggest regret I've ever had about Kolakube because the community that we had all grown together here was a fun and friendly place and I stopped seeing that.

After a while on bbPress, I had built a pretty decent forum but it just wasn't the same. People weren't using it, it just wasn't as user-friendly and I didn't do the greatest job at keeping up with it. In my eyes, I destroyed the community we had all built here. Top that off with the fact that the first standalone version of Marketers Delight I released wasn't that great and I was having serious doubts about what I was doing. Why didn't I just continue playing it safe? Why couldn't I just put my pride aside and stick with what I've always known best in Thesis instead of doing everything myself?

Moments and doubts like these plagued me for the 2 years I went silent as I threw myself into Marketers Delight. It sounds almost embarrassing to say that it took me 2 years to build what's essentially a WordPress theme and plugin (which functions similarly to what I've built in the past) but this was also a period of time in my personal life where things just weren't going right for me.

I'm 22 as I write this now and the more I've grown up over the years the more I started to truly understand the leadership roles I put myself in by running Kolakube and how little I lived up to them in the past. Don't get me wrong, I do give myself credit for the positive things my actions have brought here (and I can't thank enough people like 1351286372_medal_gold_3.pngSean, 1351286372_medal_gold_3.pngErica and 1351286372_medal_gold_3.pngRaaj who this community would be nothing without) but I have matured enough to understand some drawbacks and how they've affected my leadership role here in the past.

As Kolakube and Marketers Delight have become more integrated into my life as an adult (I'm not "The Kid" anymore), the more I've taken these responsibilities to heart and understand what they really mean. I don't have a regular job, I don't write code for any other companies, I'm 100% all-in on Kolakube. And as someone who moved out of my parents house years ago with everything to pursue a life of my own (where I now don't have very much), this means something that it's never meant before as this new era of Kolakube begins. Kolakube is all I have and all I want out of my life. Thank you for sticking around for the show.

Where do we go from here?

Marketers Delight is now its own standalone WordPress platform and the possibilities that come from that are extremely exciting. I want to get you involved in the direction of Kolakube because you are a part of it. This community is all about creating websites you can make a living from and all Kolakube products will be based around that.

Right now, I want to reestablish this forum as a solid support forum for anyone needing help with Marketers Delight. I again encourage you to head over to the MD support forums if there's something you need help with.

From there, I'll be engaging you as much as possible as the development of MD goes on by posting sneak peaks and even getting feedback from you as I'm working. I've left myself largely alone over the past couple of years and I'm really excited to come back to show you the new Kolakube.

Thank you for reading and I genuinely look forward to seeing you around the Kolakube forums.

---

I also wanted to give a shoutout to my good friend Ray Smith over at Raylosophy for his assistance in getting the support forums running again. He's rocking a beautiful customization of Marketers Delight, I highly recommend you check out his site!

- Alex
Check out the MD blog and follow me on Twitter.

Hey man, it's been an absolute pleasure working with you over these past few months on Raylosophy, and I'm extremely proud of you for being so transparent and candid with us.

Your contributions to WP & Thesis are well documented but probably a little under-appreciated by most. Despite the challenges you've faced over the years, you've managed to deliver amazing products (MD, MD Plugin, Comments Leaderboard, etc) inspiration and great leadership in this ever growing WP community.

The Kolakube Forums are back and here to stay! Thank you, Congrats and keep pushing!

• Like 1

I consult, create products and brainstorm all day

Alex, being a true legacy member, and following Kolakube since pretty much day one, all I can say is outstanding job.

We've been corresponding as you've helped me get my site back on MD so you know my thoughts.

Looking back over the history it's very obvious how you laid it on the line developing Md + Page Leads. The thing is, it's exactly what doesn't exist in the WP world and what I always wished did. MD is nothing short of a spectacular concept and and I can't wait to see you continue to develop it.

Finally a theme that works with my needs I'm not a blogger, I have a physical business, but need a strong, clear website to attract customers in a highly competitive industry here.

Customising is so easy that I can update the site on a regular basis to keep it fresh and dial it in. Love it!

Cole Dano

www.pafg.fi

• Like 2

Hey man, it's been an absolute pleasure working with you over these past few months on Raylosophy, and I'm extremely proud of you for being so transparent and candid with us.

Your contributions to WP & Thesis are well documented but probably a little under-appreciated by most. Despite the challenges you've faced over the years, you've managed to deliver amazing products (MD, MD Plugin, Comments Leaderboard, etc) inspiration and great leadership in this ever growing WP community.

The Kolakube Forums are back and here to stay! Thank you, Congrats and keep pushing!

Building a site like yours really put MD to the test so thank you for giving me the chance to make that happen! Always looking out for your next post... happy to have you around sir!

The transparency part is tough because I felt like I kept making the same mistakes over and over again. But there's just too much good stuff in store to give up.

Alex, being a true legacy member, and following Kolakube since pretty much day one, all I can say is outstanding job.

We've been corresponding as you've helped me get my site back on MD so you know my thoughts.

Looking back over the history it's very obvious how you laid it on the line developing Md + Page Leads. The thing is, it's exactly what doesn't exist in the WP world and what I always wished did. MD is nothing short of a spectacular concept and and I can't wait to see you continue to develop it.

Finally a theme that works with my needs I'm not a blogger, I have a physical business, but need a strong, clear website to attract customers in a highly competitive industry here.

Customising is so easy that I can update the site on a regular basis to keep it fresh and dial it in. Love it!

Cole Dano

www.pafg.fi

Cole, it's been great watching you build sites over the years. Your latest one is by far your best work. I see a bunch of little things I can still improve on from your design, so expect to see some helpful updates coming out.

And to see it used on a site for a gym, that's too cool!! I hadn't thought much outside the lines of blogging, so I'm glad you were able to translate these ideas to fit your industry and show me MD can work outside of blogging. Very well done.

• Like 1

- Alex

Hey Alex,

Your relaunching of the community is perfect timing as I start redesigning my site.

From day one when I had my designer start working on the design, I wanted to put it within MD. From the first day I used the stand-alone version, I saw the power in it.

MD is much more than a theme, it is a framework that allows massive customization.

I'm glad your back to build on this, because I really think MD is has endless potential. Plus, I will need help with this custom design. I am not a coder like you, but I have taught myself quite a bit over the years which makes be both dangerous but teachable.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

From day one when I had my designer start working on the design, I wanted to put it within MD. From the first day I used the stand-alone version, I saw the power in it.

MD is much more than a theme, it is a framework that allows massive customization.

You hit the nail on the head with this. The framework power beneath MD is enormous and is what I spent a very long time learning and perfecting before releasing it as MD. I'm just getting started showing off the power under-the-hood with more addons (the upcoming Video Lead + MD Popups are huge examples) and of course the new MD Tips forum.

- Alex