Xenforo to wordpress integration

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Hi @ashok and @igorsLAB - can you please verify your forum accounts from the XFtoWP customer area? Click the "Forum uses" tab:

I went to your site @igorsLAB and see you have successfully linked a thread on this post, are you still having trouble?

Comment

igorsLAB

Reaction score
At first, it works now, thx a lot for the tool.

But your documentation is a bit confusing. I had to find out by myself, that the "Forum ID" is the Node-ID from the Xenforo SQL database. My forum is bigger and I have around 80 nodes behind the categories. This was a good job to write all this numbers manually into the small text field, one eye at the text the other one at a 2nd monitor with the open database.

I recommend you to implement an importer for that. The 2nd thing is the unordered list in the WP Editor if I want to create a new thread and finally the order of the comments is not optimal.

The 3d small thing: Why I can't display the latest (newest) 10 or 20? In threads with more than 1000 posts your order with the oldest posts first is annoying for all readers.

Last edited:
Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
But your documentation is a bit confusing. I had to find out by myself, that the "Forum ID" is the Node-ID from the Xenforo SQL database.
Thank you, this is good feedback. I tend to refer to "Nodes" as "Forums" but they do not always mean the same thing.

I recommend you to implement an importer for that.
There is no way to do this with the XenForo API so I had to come up with the manual ID solution you see now. Are you posting to every single forum from WordPress? I recommend only connecting the forums you need to create threads.

The 3d small thing: Why I can't display the latest (newest) 10 or 20? In threads with more than 1000 posts your order with the oldest posts first is annoying for all readers.
Currently XFtoWP imports the first page of replies only as a way to encourage people to click through to read the full thread on XenForo. There are plans to get the full list of replies and also add sorting options like "most liked replies" and I will also note your suggestion for "show latest replies".

Comment

igorsLAB

Reaction score
I'm running a bigger and popular website (bi-lingual in German and English) with around 1 Mio visitors/month and over 15 Mio page views per month + a YT channel. The content is huge (former Tom's Hardware Germany) and the range of different themes too. I need to post, depending at the review/news content, in nearly all open forums/nodes. I have over 12k members in my forum and I need to split the content.

For the node scan:
If you scan in a pre-defined range from x to y, you can easy collect all names, if a database entry exists. Let the user decide the range values for start and end. All false returns can be skipped. I tried this with a simple loop, it must work. Addionally you can skip in your widget all empty list entries and give the user the chance so sort the list by ID or name. This is more or less simple to realize. I have no time to modify or extend your scripts, but I had a look in it. I think, it might be a big step forward for the usability. I'm sure, that the people will like it and pay extra 10 to 20 USD for an extended PRO version :)

It is absolute helpful to show the latest post first and all others in descending order. I'm running big websites and forums since years and own a lot of experience, what a reader prefer. Years of collecting feedback and getting harsh comments helped me to understand the human wishes :D

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
If you scan in a pre-defined range from x to y, you can easy collect all names, if a database entry exists. Let the user decide the range values for start and end. All false returns can be skipped. I tried this with a simple loop, it must work. Addionally you can skip in your widget all empty list entries and give the user the chance so sort the list by ID or name.
This is good thinking, and I actually have to stand corrected as I have found an API endpoint that does return the entire Node tree. Not sure how I missed it, unless it was new in XF2.2. So this is a much easier suggestion to implement than the scan and I will certainly revisit improving the usability of the node connection process.

It is absolute helpful to show the latest post first and all others in descending order. I'm running big websites and forums since years and own a lot of experience, what a reader prefer. Years of collecting feedback and getting harsh comments helped me to understand the human wishes :D
Cool, I appreciate your feedback already and can definitely handle it as software developer of over 10 years. :)

Comment