Which userbase - WP or XF?

bulbasnore

Reaction score
Your plug-in looks interesting. We formerly had WP/XF integration on the XF1.5 platform, but that plug-in is deceased.

We only have authors & admins as WP users. I'm wondering what happens when someone uses the XFtoWP call to action link?

I have a couple questions:
  1. When I post a comment from the WP to the XF using the call to action link, am I the WP user or the XF user?
  2. If I do not have an account on XF when I use the call to action, does it prompt me to sign up?
We prefer it works like this:
XF user clicks WP Post call to action > Associated Thread for Post on XF > user posts (if logged in) or logs in and posts (if not logged in)
non-XF, non-WP user clicks WP Post call to action > Associated Thread for Post on XF > user invited to register in order to post
WP user clicks WP Post call to action > Associated Thread for Post on XF > user posts (if logged into XF) or logs into XF and posts (if not logged in)

How does that work?

Thanks!

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Hi, thank you for the questions.

By "call to action" I take it you are referring to the link after the comments thread (screenshot below). Currently this link is static text that links to the thread page and can be changed, but there is nothing that connects and current XF or WP users to its functionality.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 9.18.23 PM.png
When I post a comment from the WP to the XF using the call to action link, am I the WP user or the XF user?
To clarify any potential confusion, XFtoWP is a plugin on the WordPress side that syncs replies from the linked thread. To do this an API user must be setup in the plugin settings and this is the forum user nany new threads created from WordPress will be attributed to.

If I do not have an account on XF when I use the call to action, does it prompt me to sign up?
No, but the link can be changed. Right now it links to the top of the first page.

XF user clicks WP Post call to action > Associated Thread for Post on XF > user posts (if logged in) or logs in and posts (if not logged in)
non-XF, non-WP user clicks WP Post call to action > Associated Thread for Post on XF > user invited to register in order to post
WP user clicks WP Post call to action > Associated Thread for Post on XF > user posts (if logged into XF) or logs into XF and posts (if not logged in)
The next major feature slated for release is the User syncing capabilities and that may make it possible to use more advanced logic on the call to action link. For example, if a user is logged in to WP and their account has been connected to XF we can generate a unique link that when clicked will always ensure they are logged into the forum.

I hope these answers have been helpful, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Comment

LubbockTexas

Reaction score
The next major feature slated for release is the User syncing capabilities and that may make it possible to use more advanced logic on the call to action link. For example, if a user is logged in to WP and their account has been connected to XF we can generate a unique link that when clicked will always ensure they are logged into the forum.
Any expectation on when that will be released? Are we talking days, weeks, months? I purchased the XFtoWP plugin with the expectation that was part of the software, but I misread something in the promotional material I saw.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Any expectation on when that will be released? Are we talking days, weeks, months? I purchased the XFtoWP plugin with the expectation that was part of the software, but I misread something in the promotional material I saw.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sorry for the confusion. I am estimating a couple of weeks still, with a beta coming out by next week. While you're here, can you share how you intend to use the user sync feature? Do you have a plugin you use to capture registrations or are you using the default WordPress registration system?

Comment

LubbockTexas

Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I am estimating a couple of weeks still, with a beta coming out by next week. While you're here, can you share how you intend to use the user sync feature? Do you have a plugin you use to capture registrations or are you using the default WordPress registration system?
You're good. The promotional material was clear; I just misread it.

I am using Memberpress which I have been told utilizes WP user tables. I assume that if I bridge WP to XF, then my users will just have to sign up for my website via my memberpress registration, which should sync to WP and in doing so, on to XF.

Does that make sense or am I missing something?

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
You're good. The promotional material was clear; I just misread it.

I am using Memberpress which I have been told utilizes WP user tables. I assume that if I bridge WP to XF, then my users will just have to sign up for my website via my memberpress registration, which should sync to WP and in doing so, on to XF.

Does that make sense or am I missing something?
It's possible MP sends the user data to WordPress a little differently, so I will try to test what I can although I may need to work with you on some level as I don't have MemberPress myself.

Comment