Updating jQuery

highcenbug

Reaction score
Hi,

I ran my site on https://gf.dev/wordpress-security-scanner and the results showed that the jQuery version is still at jQuery@1.12.4. What plugin or how do I update the jQuery on the theme? My client's site is using version 4.9.6.2. The site is hosted on GCP.

Thanks

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Hey @highcenbug, I can tell you that MD does not load jQuery in the theme so we will have to take a look at your plugins. The last time I checked WordPress doesn't load the latest jQuery version, and if your plugins are loading WP's version then that is why.

To debug this, try installing the Query Monitor free plugin and check if it reports the source of jQuery, otherwise you can disable your plugins one by one until it no longer loads to your site, then you will know where it is coming from.

highcenbug

Reaction score
Hey @Alex thanks for replying to my question.

Apparently, I only have 8 plugins on the clients site. Which of these do you think are causing the problem?

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Ok so most certainly WooCommerce is loading jQuery. I have personally not heard of security holes through running older versions of jQuery, and my line of thinking is that if WordPress and WooCommerce both have this version of jQuery that it is probably safe to use. Otherwise, we will have to dequeue (stop loading) their version of jQuery and manually load our own, which could be risky and break some functionality.

So the question is, what security concerns are you concerned about?

highcenbug

Reaction score
Well, if you're asking what concerns me about an outdated version of jQuery, then there might be something to be concerned off.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Glad we could both learn something new!

So tell me about your website - are you an MD customer or something else?

highcenbug

Reaction score
My client uses MD - I'm his developer. He's a multi millionaire real estate investor. Check it out www.mikebolen.com

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Very glad he was able to pick somebody new up to continue development. I'm here if you have any questions about the existing setup and future modifications.