The Stream > test and suggestion to make it a killer feature

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
I do think the Stream could be a killer assest for the MD community, but as of today, it is lacking some serious features. I already shared plenty of ideas in other Threads to present the ideas of using as a way to manage a private paid newsletter, or a way to create mini-forums/discussions between your visitors and you (but the Stream does not offer Comments).

Another thing I hoped to leverage with the Stream is microblogging. The Stream seems to be madae for that.
The idea would be to publish super quick content on your blog and keep it at home, and then transfer it for publishing to Facebook or other social media.

Several issues here. Most people are using a Facebook Page to manage their business. When I click to publish my Stream post to Facebook, it is shared to my PERSONAL Facebook profile.

1586935430253.png
I have to reshared it again to my page. It is just too cumbersome to work, especially seeing the load time on Facebook, plus you try to minimize steps when doing micro-content.

A second limit: The way it works, the logo of my blog is systematically used for the Facebook share. I would like the default image to be the one used for The Stream or at least have a feature enabling me to QUICKLY select one image in my WP image database.

The third limit? Back to the Comments missing on the stream. The best way would be for people's sinteraction on social media to be automatically captured on your Website/Stream.

Hope it gives perspectives to that strange animal: The MD Steam.

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
I agree wholeheartedly with one part of your thread - The Stream has a lot of potential.

I do think the Stream could be a killer assest for the MD community, but as of today, it is lacking some serious features.
It is already a killer asset for me and with a little TLC I think more MD users will see the value in using it.

The truth is, The Stream IS a microblogging tool and functions quite well as a minimal, quick-hit publishing tool.

Its beauty is in its simplicity. @Alex will have to chime in on this point, but I don't think it was ever intended to offer the same functions as a standard blog. The subtlety of a microblog is how you should think of The Stream.

While there are dozens of use-cases for it, you really shouldn't want to over-feature The Stream you simply find creative ways to enhance your businesses with the features that are already there.

I already shared plenty of ideas in other Threads to present the ideas of using as a way to manage a private paid newsletter, or a way to create mini-forums/discussions between your visitors and you (but the Stream does not offer Comments).
Yup, I remember that. You and I had a nice chat about The Stream in a couple of those threads. I absolutely love The Stream and we're planning something special for the MD community with regards to how it can be used.

Personally, I don't think The Stream should have comments. If they're added, I won't enable them, however, I definitely see that enabling comments can enhance the experience for some users.

Conversation, and in-depth interaction (for me) are reserved for the type of long-form content you get from standard blog posts.

Ultimately, (I think) we'll see comments added to The Stream, but unless you're using it as your primary blog, I'd be careful about adding another space for your community to "comment". But every business has different needs so...always do what makes sense for you and your biz.

As for Facebook...I'll just leave that alone. Maybe I'll dive into why I'm not a fan of social media marketing for content-based businesses in a future rant post :)

But trust me, we all love The Stream and will be giving it the attention it deserves.

Stay tuned!

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Micro-blogging remains blogging and what you may want on your blog is INTERACTIONS with your community.
As such, is there any news for The Stream to enable Comments? I remember @Alex had kind of agreed or confirmed he would allow that somewhere in this forum. Can we please add this to the Wishlist for a rapid implementation and release?

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Don't worry @SomeFrenchDude, Comments are on the roadmap for a future up date and the timeline is one-day closer than yesterday 🙂

But in all seriousness, adding Comments to the stream is being strongly considered by the braintrust and as soon as it's in development I'll update this thread.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Looking forward to it as soon as possible. I want to test this as a key feature in my system.

Can you please make sure it will integrate with disqus and alike?

I trying to find a way to automatically post micro-text in The Stream and then automatically re-post them on Facebook.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Thanks. Why not? Disqus is used by leading bloggers and marketers. Is not integrated by default with WP?

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
We tend to look for reasons WHY something should be integrated, instead of using Why Not as a reason to make changes to Marketers Delight.

If it's determined that integrating Disqus with Stream Comments is in the best interest of MD users, it will be considered.

No harm, no foul, no hardline stances — just plain and simple reasoning.

Disqus is used by leading bloggers and marketers.
The truth is, some bloggers and marketers choose to use Disqus as a way to manage comments and add revenue to their business. Other bloggers and marketers simply use Disqus because it's what their favorite blogger uses.

Whatever the reason, it's nothing more than a useful tool that some marketers smartly use to enhance their business. However, it causes more harm than good for a large number of bloggers who use Disqus. I'm sure if you do a quick "Disqus pros and cons" Google search, you will find a few examples.

Is not integrated by default with WP?
Unless Automatic acquires Disqus, it will never be integrated with WP by default.

Anyway, I hope that offers a little more clarity.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Good question and I appreciate your enthusiasm about stream comments! I have been eyeing to get it out as soon as possible.

Fortunately when the Disqus plugin is installed it attempts to overtake the WordPress comments form and does so with success with MD. Try it on posts. Because the Stream will use the same comments system, so long as Disqus can extend to custom post types (which should be no problem) then you will be able to use them on the Stream too.

Reactions: Ray

tminarik

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
webauditr.com
Personally, I believe that you should never use 3rd party comment plugins or connection.

We work hard to earn our comments and built our communities. With 3rd party plugins, you do not own those comments. If you ever remove the plugins or disconnect Disqus for example - your hard-earned comments are gone too.

Reactions: Ray

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Personally, I believe that you should never use 3rd party comment plugins or connection.

We work hard to earn our comments and built our communities. With 3rd party plugins, you do not own those comments. If you ever remove the plugins or disconnect Disqus for example - your hard-earned comments are gone too.
Great point and something important to think about for the longterm, especially if the service goes away or unfavorably changes. I have been wondering if there are any advantages to offering both native comments and embedded comments and think we could be on to a good experiment here.

For example, I use some forum threads here for comments on posts back at the MD blog which adds a lot more activity to the page: https://marketersdelight.com/magic-loops/#comments

comments-tabs.png

Thankfully MD has the same hook we can all use to do it for Disqus or anything else, so if you want to offer both blog comments AND Disqus check out this new tutorial I just wrote that let's you add a new tab to the comments area and room for the Disqus embed code:

This will be similar to how comments will be added to the Stream, but the above only applies to blog posts.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score

I fully agree with that. Still, can anyone explain why the most successful bloggers making millions are using disqus? There must be a reason... and I tend to trust the success of their project. Trying to understand that...

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
can anyone explain why the most successful bloggers making millions are using disqus? There must be a reason... and I tend to trust the success of their project. Trying to understand that...
Hey @Some French Dude. I was going to write a really long response with a lot of data, links, and information but my answer wouldn't be any different than it was on May 31st, so I won't go that route.

But I've listed a handful of bloggers that run multi-million dollar operations, without using Disqus.

Not to say I'm right and you're wrong — but to illustrate the fact that the most successful bloggers use whichever add-ons make the most sense for their business, and a lot of times, it's not Disqus.

1. Pat Flynn doesn't use Disqus on SPI. I think he did at one point, but quickly thought better of it and has since closed comments on most of his posts. He's very successful and has been at this blogging thing for quite a while. He's also pretty accessible, so you might have some success if you reach out. He has an Ask Pat thing where he allows his audience to ask him anything pertaining to running an online business, and if it's a compelling enough question, he turns it into a podcast episode.

2. Glenn Allsopp of Viperchill fame, is now running his SEO empire at Detailed.com and Gaps. Comments are turned off on Gaps.com and Detailed is not using Disqus.

3. Leo Babauta doesn't have comments on his main site, yet he's making a killing in the Personal Development space.

4. Brian Casel has a personal blog that doesn't allow comments.

5. Copyblogger, Signal V. Noise, Niche Pursuits, Create and Go, etc, etc..

I'm not saying there aren't any successful bloggers using Disqus, but I'm almost certain that their success has nothing to do with their choice of comment manager.

tminarik

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
webauditr.com
I fully agree with that. Still, can anyone explain why the most successful bloggers making millions are using disqus? There must be a reason... and I tend to trust the success of their project. Trying to understand that...
Webmasters use 3rd party tools for various reason – so the hated answer is ‘it depends.’

I’ve no personal experience with clients that have millions of users /visitors. I can only guess that those kinds of visitor volumes will be attractive to the advertising feature (but have no proof of this 😊)

Disqus is obviously a great and popular comment addon. Easy to use – and if your competitors are all using it, and you are after the same audience, then I would investigate using it as well.

I know of sites that have on average about 50K monthly visitors – they started using Disqus when they started out and now don’t want to lose all the engagement, so they are sticking with it. The comment management system is a bit complicated too.

Another client decided to leave as they wanted to use their own email integration for notification/newsletters. That was years ago, so they may allow for 3rd party email integration now (?).

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
now don’t want to lose all the engagement
That's exactly the keyword: ENGAGEMENT.
We all know that the extreme majority of people CONSUME content. The extreme minority produce it.

In between, you find those f%cking haters who are just a pain in the a$$ and people sharing their honest feedback, that can also be negative but that teaches you so much.

I'm in the process of building my content delivery approach using The Stream and I have always pleaded for a possibly to have people comment the Stream's content for that same double reason:
  1. Your followers strongest engagement is when they share their honest feedback with you (like I have done multiple times on this forum by the way :))
  2. That type of engagement becomes your best way to know your market, your avatar.
Thank your for your answerS.