• Welcome to the official support community for the Marketers Delight WordPress theme. Most content here is private and to ask questions, get official support, and network with other WordPress users please register and verify your forum account to start posting today.

Sort on new posts

joszwa

Reaction score
Hi!

I just bought the XFtoWP plugin, mainly for the upcoming user sync options, but already wanted to connect our blog articles with forum topics.

To understand my question let me give a little background on our website. We run a (Dutch) website about festivals. The blog has continuous updates on festival editions, but our forum has only one topic per festival edition, which can have multiple hundreds of pages. So when I currently connect a topic to a blog post, this always starts with the opening post of our topic, but most of the time that has been months ago and doesn't show relevant comments.

I guess there would be two solutions:
  • An option to sort descending instead of ascending, so it shows the most recent post.
  • An option to set a "start date" (or automatically have this determined from the blog post date), so it only shows the posts from the relevant moment.

Would either of those two be possible? :) Thanks!

For an example, click here for the blog post or here for the connected forum thread.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Hey @joszwa, great to see you here! It will make our discussions more organized. I really like how the comments look on your site and nice work on getting them setup. :love:
  • An option to sort descending instead of ascending, so it shows the most recent post.
  • An option to set a "start date" (or automatically have this determined from the blog post date), so it only shows the posts from the relevant moment.
With user syncing being nearly complete, I will be turning my focus to enhance the existing plugin features and for Thread comments this has been the currently most requested feature. @Royal Rumble has also made a request to be able to start the thread replies from message X, and that is most likely how it will be handled instead of a post date.

In regards to sorting, the end goal is to offer a frontend option where anyone can organize comments by newest, oldest, most liked, and maybe some other criteria. But I think a quicker in-between will be to offer a "ascending/descending" option from the admin, which I will try to include ASAP.

Comment

joszwa

Reaction score
Hey @joszwa, great to see you here! It will make our discussions more organized. I really like how the comments look on your site and nice work on getting them setup. :love:

With user syncing being nearly complete, I will be turning my focus to enhance the existing plugin features and for Thread comments this has been the currently most requested feature. @Royal Rumble has also made a request to be able to start the thread replies from message X, and that is most likely how it will be handled instead of a post date.

In regards to sorting, the end goal is to offer a frontend option where anyone can organize comments by newest, oldest, most liked, and maybe some other criteria. But I think a quicker in-between will be to offer a "ascending/descending" option from the admin, which I will try to include ASAP.

Thanks for your quick reply & compliments Alex! That sounds good. The last option you give, asc/desc from admin side, is all we would need to set it live for now (with upgrades being welcome later), so would really be cool.

As for the "start from message X", if it's possible it would be cool to semi-automatize this. The people who write for our blog aren't always too familiar with our forums so if they could just push a button to grab the "current last post" instead of having to look op a specific post number (which is kind of hard to find if you don't know where to look), that would be the best scenario for us. Maybe that's helpful feedback!

One last thing, I noticed that I'm not able to disable Wordpress comments without also deleting the Thread Comments. The current display setting is on "Show after WP Comments", which indeed does what it says, but when I chose "Replace WP Comments", only the WP comments remain and Thread Comments disappear. Have you heard this before?

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
As for the "start from message X", if it's possible it would be cool to semi-automatize this. The people who write for our blog aren't always too familiar with our forums so if they could just push a button to grab the "current last post" instead of having to look op a specific post number (which is kind of hard to find if you don't know where to look), that would be the best scenario for us. Maybe that's helpful feedback!
That's an interesting idea and could be more user-friendly that the number input, although those two functions both serve different purposes. I think we both agree that the ASC/DESC option is the most immediate takeaway here and I will certainly put a priority there, and we can use this thread to add any ideas to the more nuanced controls.

One last thing, I noticed that I'm not able to disable Wordpress comments without also deleting the Thread Comments. The current display setting is on "Show after WP Comments", which indeed does what it says, but when I chose "Replace WP Comments", only the WP comments remain and Thread Comments disappear. Have you heard this before?
I'd like to try and keep threads focused around one topic and you are more than welcome to post as many threads as you'd like for different topics. But to address this here—it is possibly a theme issue. Do you have a link to the theme I can download to investigate?

Comment

joszwa

Reaction score
That's an interesting idea and could be more user-friendly that the number input, although those two functions both serve different purposes. I think we both agree that the ASC/DESC option is the most immediate takeaway here and I will certainly put a priority there, and we can use this thread to add any ideas to the more nuanced controls.

Agreed! Awesome.

I'd like to try and keep threads focused around one topic and you are more than welcome to post as many threads as you'd like for different topics. But to address this here—it is possibly a theme issue. Do you have a link to the theme I can download to investigate?

That's understandable, | will make a separate topic for this.

Comment

Andro

Client
Reaction score
How about adopting the WPDiscuz approach and add these three auto sorting methods as a dropdown on the front end XFtoWP comments view?

The sorting options can be:
- Newest
- Oldest
- Most voted/Top rated (most reacted posts)

Backend admin XFtoWP settings page should provide an option to choose from the available sorting views to choose the default posts sorting. I would personally pick the most voted option as that will show the most liked/useful comments.

Additionally, as @joszwa suggested, "start from message X", sounds like a super useful sorting method for certain situations but not something we will be using generally.

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
The sorting options can be:
- Newest
- Oldest
- Most voted/Top rated (most reacted posts)
These are really the only orders that matter, right? :D

Backend admin XFtoWP settings page should provide an option to choose from the available sorting views to choose the default posts sorting. I would personally pick the most voted option as that will show the most liked/useful comments.
and possibly would load the fewest comments. I may make the criteria to only show posts with more than 1 like.

Comment

joszwa

Reaction score
Hey @Alex! Haven't checked in a while but I will start developing our new website next month so was hoping to finally implement the XF to WP bridge then. I was wondering if the above plans have made it to the plugin by now? :) I'm afraid the current sorting on 'oldest' doesn't really make sense on my website, as it shows months old replies. So would be cool to be able to sort it the other way around (or starting from date X). Thanks!

Last edited:
Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Hi @joszwa, glad to hear you are making progress! We've been focused on closing out the 1.2 beta and afterwards sorting options are our #1 development priority for the plugin.

We have more complex sorting options in mind as has been discussed in this thread, and simply offering the ability to show new posts is very easy, so we will be sure to include that at the very least by then. Thank you for checking in and please continue to do so to hold us accountable as you keep making progress. :)

Comment

joszwa

Reaction score
Great Alex, thanks for your update and that sounds cool. More sorting options would be awesome of course, looking forward to seeing it.

Comment