SEO and duplicate content from your OWN site

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Let me explain:
1. On Monday, you write and publish a 400 post on your blog.
2. On Wednesday, a new one, same size.
3. Friday: Same.
4. On Saturday, you compile those 3 posts into a big one.

What will Google say about this duplicated content? Will you be penalized for it in terms of SEA, knowing that YOU created it?
If so, and to avoid that, is there a way/pluggin to compile those posts in an automatic and smart way?

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
What will Google say about this duplicated content? Will you be penalized for it in terms of SEA, knowing that YOU created it?
If so, and to avoid that, is there a way/pluggin to compile those posts in an automatic and smart way?
Some with more SEO experience and success can chime-in, but generally speaking, no one knows what Google is going to do tomorrow.

Also, using a plugin to automate the process of aggregating 3-pieces of your own content seems counterproductive.

If you're going to proceed with this publishing strategy, you may want to simply summarize the three posts as if you're publishing a newsletter issue. But like I said, someone with a little more expertise may need to help you out.

*good read: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/seo-101/seo-experts/

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Perhaps counterproductive is the wrong word.

If you create 1200 words of content and then use a plugin to summarize that content into one post, you're probably losing more than you're gaining.

That level of ai just isn't very good yet, so what you'll get is (at best) a copy and past of the first two and last two sentences of each paragraph.

IF this is something you want to do, you'd be better served using The Stream, Twitter, Facebook, or your newsletter to summarize and redirect readers to your full-length content.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
May be I was not clear in my first message. My idea in compiling is to ADD my 3 to 5 posts into a single article, like bricks building the row of wall if you will. So I don't want to summarize anything...

And yes, I was thinking about using the stream to create 2 or 3 posts and offer the big article only to my list of private contacts.
Not sure yet about my final concept.

But that's why I would like to AUTOMATE the process (may be with Zapier) to automatically publish my text in The Stream, plus all types of social medias... then tell my "system" to AUTOMATICALLY collect the post of the week and compile them, with the ideal possibility to add variable to insert a CTA line or paragraph at the bottom of the page.

Hope that is more clear now.
I'm trying to build a system through which I'm going to share inspiring content/micro-posts, forcing people to want to subscribe to my email list to learn more and know the unfolding... Something like this...

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Okay, got it.

In my opinion, I think you're better off publishing ONE 1200 word post on your ste instead of THREE 400 word post -- only to combine them later into a single post.

The more confusing part is why you would combine 3 posts that were published 24, 48, and 72 hours ago.

Not only do I not understand why you would do this, but I definitely don't know why you would need to use a plugin to copy and paste/combine 3 short posts into one long post.

Why not create all 4 posts at the same time and schedule them respectively.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the value in doing this.

However, I'm always open to learning new content marketing techniques and I'd love to read your case study after implementing this strategy.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
You are asking the right questions in this thread.

My idea in compiling is to ADD my 3 to 5 posts into a single article, like bricks building the row of wall if you will. So I don't want to summarize anything...
Does merging three posts into one sound like it will produce anything people would actually read? If you write three separate posts you have three unique pieces of content. If you have a fourth article that compiles them into one, the natural editorial process is to make sure they all flow together.

You perhaps need to think in terms of categories - they act as "monuments" on your site built brick by brick (post by post) which builds upon a main idea you can support with many pieces of content, large and small. You can see on our Docs page for the example we are building and how we are separating different ideas (posts) around main categories:

There is no better page you can create for both users and search engines than category and archive pages that all link to content pages on your site. See the content directory powerhouse we have built at Allied Experts:

This is the idea behind the stream, glossary, bookshelf, and the heart of MD. So you have the right idea by thinking about the structure, you just need to find the right format for you. If that starts with with a few 300-400 word posts a week, then you have a find start.

Remember these pages are everlasting and should be updated over time anyway. Long-lived pages with frequent updates are a great SEO indicator in my opinion, and the "Recently updated date" in MD 5.1 makes that easy to add:

Image 2020-05-15 at 1.17.32 AM.png

Nothing.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Thanks @Alex for the detailed answer. Much appreciated.

To make things clearer, the 3 posts I am talking about do exist. They range between 400 and 750 words each and they have already been written to flow together. It was a prerequisite from word 1.
See it as a 3-part story.

I want to published the first 2 parts in the Stream or as blog posts.
Then, people have to be registered to my mailing to received the full article including the first 2 parts + the third part and some other "goodies" such a promo code or something.
See the idea? I'm still refining it and open to your feedback and suggestions.

It is not my initial concept but I like the Docs page you mentioned. What's the process to create one like this? Is this all manual? Or (have/) can you automate(d) parts of the process? Is there anything special to do with wordpress tags/categories?