• Welcome to the official support community for the Marketers Delight WordPress theme. Most content here is private and to ask questions, get official support, and network with other WordPress users please register and verify your forum account to start posting today.

Implemented Option to place WP comments below XF comments

Solari

Reaction score
Greets,

Am coming to this from using Discourse and it's tight integration with Wordpress. It's nice to see we can do this on Xenforo too, thanks!

As on Discourse, we had the option to display Wordpress comments *below* Discourse replies -- I'd like to do the same with XFtoWP, i.e. place WP comments below XF replies/comments.

I'm actually turning comments off on Wordpress but my site accepts webmentions and such and those would continue to display -- I'd just like 'em to go below XF replies/comments.

Thanks!
Ray

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Hi @Solari, glad you are finding XFtoWP to be useful. I didn't know Discourse had a WP integration too, I'll have to check it out for some inspiration.

As on Discourse, we had the option to display Wordpress comments *below* Discourse replies -- I'd like to do the same with XFtoWP, i.e. place WP comments below XF replies/comments.
As you have probably seen, XFtoWP has a location option to show after WP comments. When I originally developed the locations I didn't think of the before placement, and luckily it is just as easy to do.

I will mark this thread as something to implement into the final version of XFtoWP 1.2, but if you're looking to implement it right now you can make a simple modification to the plugin code now. I don't usually recommend doing this, but since this feature will make it into the next version you don't have to worry about losing the changes.

If you're interested in the mod, via FTP open /wp-content/plugins/XFWP/templates/templates.php and search for (should be line 32):

PHP:
add_action( 'comment_form_after', array( $this, 'forum_comments' ) );

and simply change it to:

PHP:
add_action( 'comment_form_before', array( $this, 'forum_comments' ) );

If you have any other feature suggestions I'd love to hear about them in a new topic. Let me know how this works out for you.

Comment

Solari

Reaction score
Most excellent! I will wait until this is officially implemented in the code so I don't have to worry about overwriting things and such. ; )

Discourse long has had beautiful and tight integration with Wordpress, including users. It's been unmatched at this even with XF bridges, but you're coming the closest so far. In fact, your XFtoWP add-on is the reason I switched one of my forums from Discourse over to Xenforo. : )

Your integration with MemberPress does surpass Discourse in the subscriptions department, which I'm thrilled to see since I'm also a fan of MemberPress.

Look forward to watching your baby grow!

Feel free to reach out if you need testing/suggesting, etc. since I've had experience with Discourse <--> Wordpress.

Take care,
Ray

Comment

Solari

Reaction score
I went ahead and made the suggested change but nothing seems to have changed -- XF replies still show up below WP comments.

Just passing along...

Thanks,
Ray

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
I went ahead and made the suggested change but nothing seems to have changed -- XF replies still show up below WP comments.

Just passing along...

Thanks,
Ray
and the "Comments display" option is still set to the default "Show after WP comments"?

Comment

Solari

Reaction score
Ayup. I also force refreshed cache on browser.

The site in question isn't live yet but I'd be happy to give you admin access if you want to debug this further.

Ray

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Ayup. I also force refreshed cache on browser.

The site in question isn't live yet but I'd be happy to give you admin access if you want to debug this further.

Ray
If that's the case let's just hold off until XFtoWP 1.2. It is looking good for the first release candidate to come out this week. đź’Ş

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
This feature has been implemented in the upcoming XFtoWP 1.2 Beta 3 release. Stay tuned for the latest download!

Comment

Solari

Reaction score
Hmm I just noticed if folks click the "Leave a comment" link on the blog posts page (the list of posts), it has #respond appended so when folks click that they're taken to the top of the blog page itself rather than the comment area.

I do notice if there *are* comments, then the the comment URL changes to #comments which does work.

Does your plug-in somehow remove the #respond portion of a post page that doesn't have comments?

Any idea how I can change instances of #respond to #comments?

Thanks!
Ray

Comment

Solari

Reaction score
Alex,

Just had some comments and it appears they are still showing up above XFtoWP's block even though I have it set to show before comments?

This is using Version 1.2 Beta 3 Patch 4.

Ray

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Alex,

Just had some comments and it appears they are still showing up above XFtoWP's block even though I have it set to show before comments?

This is using Version 1.2 Beta 3 Patch 4.

Ray
Hey @Solari apologies for overlooking this one. My guess is there is a certain way your theme comments area is coded, because I see this works on the default WordPress themes. What theme does your site use, and can you send me a link?

Comment