• The MD Labs summer break has now concluded! You will receive fast replies again from Alex and the team, plus loads of new releases coming very soon. See thread for more details →

My Personal Homepage & Blog

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Hey @gauravtiwari

I'm sure others will weigh-in as soon as they get a chance, but I'll be the first to tell you that I love how you're using MD's design features. From Magic Loops and Optins, to Dropins, animated buttons and icons, you're really making the most of Marketers Delight.

I especially love your use of page leads; specifically on your home page. If you're able to get better logos for Acer, IBM, and your other clients, then it would be perfect.

Overall it's a great design. It's clean, with a great color palette, and the right amount of "white space". Great job!

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Hey @gauravtiwari you know I have been watching your site throughout our other discussions here and watching your site progress helped me see a few good directions I should take the newly released Magic Loops feature - so thanks for digging right in to using MD's features around your site!

I am glad to see you have pulled back on the custom page templates you were implementing as navigating the site became confusing with all of the different layouts. That being said it is a lot of fun to jump around the large variety of content; your site has a magazine like feel coming together.

A few suggestions for you

1) Your popups looks GREAT, but there is some core MD CSS missing and now I see it stuck to the top of the browser. I know you are writing a lot of your own custom CSS which I think is great and encourage, but I wanted to show you this in case you may have removed it or disabled the top spacing somehow:

Image 2020-05-05 at 10.39.22 PM.png

2) The hero looks ok but the typography/spacing combination is not really working with me. Have you tried filling the CTA box text options out in the respective fields? I see you wrote custom HTML in the text description field which is fine, but filling out the standard fields may give you a more winning combination.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 10.44.32 PM.png

3) The "Read my blog" button could really use some left/right padding which I see you removed with your own CSS:

CSS:
a.button {
    padding: 10px !important;
}
I think your site will be better off without it.

4) You can also customize the button styles with various classes. See the Buttons section in the Style Guide rather than using inline CSS.

5) I love how you've used the Glossary and found a style bug, one I need to fix in MD itself. This simple snippet will take care of it for you now though:

CSS:
.featured-image-cover .glossary-breadcrumbs a { color: #fff; }
Image 2020-05-05 at 10.52.10 PM.png

6) Finally, your Cryptocurrency page! I have to ask - did you find MD through CryptoWP or vice-versa? You can embed this on the page much better with the following code and HTML structure:

PHP:
/**
 * Manipulate templates.
* @since 1.0
*/

function gaur_templates() {
    if ( is_category( 'cryptocurrency' ) )
        add_action( 'md_hook_before_content_box', 'gaur_crypto_grid' );
}
add_action( 'template_redirect', 'gaur_templates' );

/**
 * CryptoWP template.
 * @since 1.0
 */

function gaur_crypto_grid() { ?>

<div class="crypto-section">
        <div class="inner">
            <div class="block-double-tb block-single-lr format">
                <h1>Cryptocurrency</h1>
                <p class="micro-text">Category description here.</p>
                <?php echo do_shortcode( '[crypto]' ); ?>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>

<?php }
-----

Keep up the amazing work and know we are here to support you grow your site. Any suggestions or other sites you create we'd love to have them!

gauravtiwari

Blogger at https://gauravtiwari.org
Reaction score
Website
gauravtiwari.org
Hi Alex,
Thanks a lot for your time and showering me with great suggestions. Fixed most of the things accordingly.

1. Popup doesn't stick on top for me. Maybe some cache or what, but I have set and !important argument to that.

2. I really wanted h1 tag for Hello, I am Gaurav Tiwari and h2 for other - but MD keeps removing that. Either way I think I should switch back to normal. I was using Elementor earlier and that version was brilliant as it supported animated texts and what not. Fixed it as per your suggestions.

3. Yes, my mistake. Old code stayed in Custom CSS.

4. Will do.

5. Thanks. Didn't notice.

6. My circle was Product Hunt -> MD. MD Showcase -> CryptoWP. Improved some things but I will keep it the same, as my code allows me to show the current currency rates not only on the archives but on also above single posts in Cryptocurrency category.

It's been only a month since I started working on this new design. Will do better soon.

Regards,
Gaurav

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
1. Popup doesn't stick on top for me. Maybe some cache or what, but I have set and !important argument to that.
I see the space now but I am still skeptical there is still a but somewhere! I have this noted this for a closer look.

2. I really wanted h1 tag for Hello, I am Gaurav Tiwari and h2 for other - but MD keeps removing that. Either way I think I should switch back to normal. I was using Elementor earlier and that version was brilliant as it supported animated texts and what not. Fixed it as per your suggestions.
This is a great enhancement I will bake into the controls as an h1 for this section is vital.

6. My circle was Product Hunt -> MD. MD Showcase -> CryptoWP. Improved some things but I will keep it the same, as my code allows me to show the current currency rates not only on the archives but on also above single posts in Cryptocurrency category.
Ah I see you are using it on single posts too - nice. Here will be my last suggestion about this as I think it came out pretty cool too -

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 12.30.08 PM.png

Works on both category and single pages since you have the full width header layout. Template:

HTML:
<div class="crypto-section inner">
</div>
Custom CSS:

CSS:
.featured-image-cover + .crypto-section {
    margin-bottom: 37px;
    margin-top: -74px;
}
:cool:

gauravtiwari

Reaction score
Website
gauravtiwari.org
I see the space now but I am still skeptical there is still a but somewhere! I have this noted this for a closer look.

This is a great enhancement I will bake into the controls as an h1 for this section is vital.

Ah I see you are using it on single posts too - nice. Here will be my last suggestion about this as I think it came out pretty cool too -

View attachment 2352

Works on both category and single pages since you have the full width header layout. Template:

HTML:
<div class="crypto-section inner">
</div>
Custom CSS:

CSS:
.featured-image-cover + .crypto-section {
    margin-bottom: 37px;
    margin-top: -74px;
}
:cool:
Cool.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Ah, my ad blocker removed them from sight. I tried. :p Happy to include your site in the MD showcase.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Your site is growing very nicely and I see you have simplified the experience greatly. Nice work! Have you noticed your child theme is also getting cleaner?

I'm sure we will have to update the preview image again soon, but your site looks great in the showcase: https://marketersdelight.com/showcase/

Jake O'Callaghan

MD writer
Reaction score
Really impressed overall with the design and content.

I would consider making your blog posts longer. You seem to be great at formatting your content for the web. I found myself thinking that you would be killer at writing more long, in-depth articles.

I'd also pay a little more attention when it comes to editing. I did notice, for instance, that you had multiple errors when it came to titling your subheaders properly. You don't need to be perfect, but these small errors can be distracting to the reader.

gauravtiwari

Reaction score
Website
gauravtiwari.org
Hey @Jake O'Callaghan . Thank you so much for your input. I agree that there's been ifs and buts in content as the volume has increased lately and I have started taking articles from guest authors.

Thanks to your suggestions, I'll be now taking a different approach towards writing & editing.

lovefightwrite

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
alextucker.ca
I really like your homepage - did you do anything special to achieve that, or is it just a builder template with the blocks given the same background color as the header? I'm currently mimicking your design on a test site (and mimicry is the highest form of flattery!)

gauravtiwari

Reaction score
Website
gauravtiwari.org
I really like your homepage - did you do anything special to achieve that, or is it just a builder template with the blocks given the same background color as the header? I'm currently mimicking your design on a test site (and mimicry is the highest form of flattery!)
Hi, it is just a regular page with custom hooks added to it. First, I installed MD Child theme. Then I created a page and gave header a fully opaque header color. Now, I created a CTA option block from MD options and hooked that to `After Header` on `Front Page` only.
Then other blocks followed. About the 9 recent posts on frontpage — those are custom coded loops.