How to shorten your url?

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
1/ People sharing their URL in their YouTube description usually provide a shortened version of those URLs.

2/ I know some products/apps even offer you to customize that URL so that it looks clean and menaingful, and not just like a bunck of letters and numbers mixed together.

May be I don't know enough on shortened URL fro ma technical standpoint but I'm wondering if all your shortened URLs might be BROKEN if the "shortening service / web site / app" you are using to create them goes bankrupt. Well, you see what I mean.

As such, what would you advise me to use to shorten my URL?
I would especially like to share documents hosted on my GoogleDrive.
I need a free solution for know.
Why not paying for such aservice to have something even cleaner once I start generating revenues (far from it).

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
URL shortener co.'s usually have a life span as short as their links. It's a tough space to build a profitable business — even Google discontinued their service. But to answer your question, bankruptcy doesn't always mean a business is going to shut down, but it's definitely a red flag. And once they shut down, your links will essentially become null and void/dead links.

Free Solutions
Bitly is the easy answer, and they'll likely be around for as long as URL shortening is a thing -- but there's also Kutt and TinyURL. And once you're ready to run your own URL shortening service -- you can install YOURLS.

I'd go with TinyURL. I think they allow a little more customization (for free) than Bitly.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
The exact feedback I was expecting, thank you @Ray

Not sure why Google stopped that since their mission is to rule the net (and more :))
That's sthe main reason of my post actually. I was wondering how you can trust shortened URL if even giants like Google change the rules in the middle of the game.

Is it better to use TinyUrl iwth the risk mentionned or to just keep long URL? I guess TinyUrl come in handy when you want to trick the visitor in not showing where the URL leads, right?

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
You're welcome.

Not sure why Google stopped that since their mission is to rule the net (and more :))
That's sthe main reason of my post actually. I was wondering how you can trust shortened URL if even giants like Google change the rules in the middle of the game.
I suspect that Google simply couldn't gain enough market share to justify the time and money they put into the service. As with most services they copy — it's hard to break into an industry that isn't (at least) adjacent to their DNA. Also, Google is known for sunsetting service, after service, after service without warning. This might be a fun sight to scroll through when you have 15 minutes to throw away: https://killedbygoogle.com

Is it better to use TinyUrl iwth the risk mentionned or to just keep long URL?
Generally speaking, URL shorteners are great if you need a way to track clicks. For example -- you have a new blog post or landing page and you want to promote it across social media, your newsletter, MD Forums, etc. If you use a different/trackable shortened URL, you will get enough data to know where your click traffic is coming from. You can get similar data just by using Google Analytics, but some people need more data. So if you don't need to know where your traffic is coming from, or how many people click your links then you don't need a URL shortener.

I guess TinyUrl come in handy when you want to trick the visitor in not showing where the URL leads, right?
Yes, it can be used to deceive the visitor — which is why a lot of people don't click shortened links.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
While we are talking about URL:
  1. I have this URL for one of my blog post: https://osteoshiatsu.fr/comment-gerer-son-stress-sans-medicament/
  2. The URL Slug is: comment-gerer-son-stress-sans-medicament
  3. When you copy and paste it the URL in 1/ into a browser, it automatically turns into https://osteoshiatsu.fr/2020/06/26/comment-gerer-son-stress-sans-medicament/, adding the publishing date.
  4. How to get rid of this? For all my posts? Without breaking my existing posts and the external links to them.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Wow, haven't seen YOURLS mentioned in a while - glad it is still kicking.

I think it would be cool if you could find a short enough domain name and install a WordPress site to it, then with some kind of links/redirects plugin you just publish links as you go and grab the URL. Lock the domain down and only use it as your link redirects hub.

While we are talking about URL:
Go to WP Admin > Settings > Permalinks and choose the option with no post slug. I recommend you do this first thing on every new site you install, and it is truly bizarre how WordPress has not made this the default setting to this day. Where they do get it right is all of your posts with the old dates structure will redirect to the new no date version.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Go to WP Admin > Settings > Permalinks and choose the option with no post slug.
1/ Which option are you referring to? Not sure to see anything in French that would mean "no post slug":
1593510448558.png

2/ Above is my default setting. Which one do you recommend? I was thinking to go for Titre de la publication (title of the post), but sometime my title needs to be adjusted for the URL. Copywriters tend to use loooong titles.
Can you confirm the Slug is the way to go?

3/ I have less than 10 articles ready and only 1 or 2 published, so it is stil ltime for me to make the right choice.
This article is published https://osteoshiatsu.fr/2020/06/26/comment-gerer-son-stress-sans-medicament/
and I shared the link in the description of a YT video.
How can I change its URL into 2020/06/26/comment-gerer-son-stress-sans-medicament/

It seems you have to select the option Titre de la publication on the panel above, but...
... will it affect the post already created like this one? It seems like not. So what do I have to do here?
... what about my need to sometime shorten my titles for my URL? Will the option Titre de la publication still enable me to create my own shortened slug since Wordpress offers that option?

Looking for guidance for those choices that will impact ALL my content everytime I create new one.