How to publish micro blog posts and notes with the Stream (Ideas List)

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
The stream is really great for posting quick thoughts and with the right formatting can be quite compelling content for reader's to check back to. We have big enhancements for features and visibility options for the Stream but the ideas posted on the blog should help give you ideas for what to do with your own Stream.

Have you been posting to yours? Let's showcase them here too.
  1. MD Stream
  2. Personal blog stream

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Library66 wouldn't be the same without the stream. Using it as a newsletter archive gives my readers a great access point to previous issues. It doesn't receive massive amounts of traffic but I know at least one subscriber who saved it to his home screen to avoid checking his email. Hey, different strokes right?

You can find it here.

callummahoney

Reaction score
The Stream has been something that I love in theory but have never been able to use in practice. Might be time to re-evaluate that based on some of these ideas.

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
The Stream has been something that I love in theory but have never been able to use in practice. Might be time to re-evaluate that based on some of these ideas.
Sharing the same feeling. Let's share best practices and see if the stream can make our sites steam ;-)

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
I have a concrete use case I need help on.

Every time I post a micro post in the Stream, I want it to be AUTOMATICALLY published on my Facebook PAGE (and ideally my Twitter account).

1. First question: Is there a way to automate that straight from MD?
I would love to hear a BIG YES here from the MD team. It would really make The Stream a killer feature.

2. I have already reported this DOUBLE issue before, for this is really an issue in my case.
On the screenshot below, I clicked on the Facebook Share button.

- First issue: The popup dialog box enabling to share ALWAYS takes the same picture. It is BORING for the people always seeing the same picture and it truly kills their click and even reading intention. Basically, it kills the first letter of the AIDA process (i'm sure you know what I am talking about).

- Second issue: It connects to my Facebook personal account. I don't want to use this account for personal reasons. I need this post to be published on my Facebook PAGE.
1593334043600.png

So this is my business/use case phrased in one single sentence: HOW TO AUTOMATICALLY SHARE MY STREAM POSTS TO MY FACEBOOK PAGE?
Automatically ideally means with ZERO additional steps other than publishing the post on the Stream. Zapier could be an option but it would not help with the 2 MD-related limits expressed about the IMAGE & the PAGE.

PS 1: Please note that I'm not trying to launch a philosophical discussion here. I need a concrete process to do this and I assume the MD team are the best place person to be motivated to help me :) Let's build a success story here.

PS 2: I use a quote on my last Stream post and I was not able to add the Author (the field was missing from the interface as opposed to when you use a quote in regualr post).
1593335435405.png

Attachments

• 1593334043600.png
    1593334043600.png
    615.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Is it possible to have 2 or more Streams on one webpage?

Not currently, but we are looking into a feature that allows you to embed stream posts from the blocks editor, as a widget, and a shortcode. Currently you can categorize stream posts and use stream category pages to filter specific posts.

Share your ideas, adding new features to the Stream is a high priority for us in the MD Labs!

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
@mkw, you can use this snippet of HTML to center a YouTube video into your Stream post.

<p style="text-align: center;">YouTube iFrame goes here</p>

Be sure to embed the iframe into the text editor. Then add the text-align: center HTML code to the beginning. Don't forget to close it off with the following </p>.

screenshot.png

Last edited:

mkw

MD customer
Reaction score
I have spend some time with Stream and I love it!
One killer feature for Stream would be simple smartphone app that allows to post new streams quickly and easy.
And the browser extention for desktop that allow to post quickly new update on Stream.
Both of this would help to maximize usage of the Stream - so I can post updates as quick as on social media.

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more and I have some good tips for you in the meantime!

I keep a bookmark folder in my browser with my most visited MD pages and I bookmarked the "Add New stream" page like so:

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 11.50.58 AM.png

You can do the same thing on a smartphone, except you want to add the "Add Stream" admin page to your phone's front screen.

We have some good new features coming to the Stream soon, happy to hear you are enjoying it. :)