Home Sweet Home

lovefightwrite

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
alextucker.ca
I don't think I'm an above the fold superstar, but I did recently rebuild my whole site on MD so I'd love to hear your thoughts on my front page: https://alextucker.ca/

I want to do more work on it but I'm focusing on optimizing existing posts and writing new ones at the moment.

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
@lovefightwrite, the front page for AlexTucker.ca does a good job of presenting clear CTA's (Optin and/or Contact), showcasing your services, and highlighting your resource page.

I think you're a few tweaks away from turning your front page, to a homepage. Technically, a front-page and homepage are the same thing, but we're I draw a distinction in the way it makes visitors feel when they come to your site.

I think you can make your site feel a lot more welcoming if (as @Alex likes to say) you're able to do more with less.

Right now you have a brief explanation of each service followed by a separate full description of each service. I'd remove the redundancy and try to make everything more succinct.

Please keep in mind that I am not a developer, designer, or coder, I'm simply a guy with lots of ideas and opinions. More qualified members of MD Forums can offer better suggestions.

With that said, here's what I would do:

1/ Use the Gallery Blocks dropin to showcase your services. Each block should offer a brief description and a link/button to an internal page that fully outlines the offering.

2/ Add Testimonials to each service page to show social proof. You can do this by using tweet embeds, email screenshots, or via the testimonials dropin (shortcode).

3/ In the header menu, I'd move the 'contact' link under the about tab and use the beacon for my 'free consultation' offer. For the better part of 4 years I used the Beacon to amplify my consulting service in a subtle, but obvious way. You can read all about my experience with the beacon here.

4/ If you do not want to install and use dropins, you might consider writing your front page like a blog post. It would live on your site as a page, but the content would be a little more personal if it's written as a narrative. Doing so would also give you a lot of styling options, without requiring you to install dropins. Doing this would give you the opportunity to showcase your personality and use your sidebar (if you believe in using sidebars) more creatively.

Personally, I think if you infuse your wit/personality into your copy—it will convert better. @Jake O'Callaghan is really good at that so maybe he'll jump in with a few suggestions as well.

5/ You can also play with the font size and image used in the CTA above the fold, but if it's converting, leave it as-is. I'd also love go hear @gauravtiwari 's thoughts on this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I hope they help, and more than that, I hope @Alex and the Community can offer their insight as well.

Bottom line—your frontpage is good, and over time, you will see what's working and not working, thus, making changes that not only look good but feel good to you and your visitors.

*I did not proofread this so please excuse typos and grammatical errors*

1 Comment
Alex
Alex commented
Nailed it. :D

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Great to see your site come together, it looks WAY better and jumping across different pages is lightning fast. We definitely have a solid foundation to keep building upon. (y)

I agree with Ray about simplifying the front page and I think you can narrow down the call to actions at the top. Rather than making the CTA box about the book try reworking that area to use the "hire marketer/learn marketing" call to action, and maybe include a photo of yourself in this area too. This could all be done from the MD > Call to Actions settings.

I would also change the CTA title "Small Business Digital Marketing" to h1 and then remove the main post headline from the content box in the MD Layout settings (on the post editor). From here you could use MD blocks or some other visual elements to keep improving your landing page, but I think it reads pretty well right now.

Hope that makes sense-keep up the good work!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.10.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.10.21 PM.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.11.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.11.03 PM.png
    159.9 KB · Views: 1
Comment

lovefightwrite

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
alextucker.ca
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. Will try to find time to incorporate these suggestions soon. My front page copy is pretty old at this point but I've been loathe to change it because it ranks in my town. I'm sure I can improve the copy while maintaining ranking though.

Comment

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback. Will try to find time to incorporate these suggestions soon. My front page copy is pretty old at this point but I've been loathe to change it because it ranks in my town. I'm sure I can improve the copy while maintaining ranking though.
Hey—if it's ranking and converting, then don't change it, just make tweaks to refine it.

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
That's great, I have a feeling your site should start to rank better with the redesign. I see the local web design/SEO pages you've created and I wonder if they are somehow supporting the front page of your site, or if those pages are ranking themselves?

The thing I am learning to do is start paying attention to what pages Google says gets the most visits and start to update them with more relevant content and offers.

Also some of the links in your content area open in new tabs, I would recommend you remove that and keep it all in the same link. SEO aside, it makes for a more tedious user experience.

Thanks for being open to us picking your site apart. 😎

Comment

Jake O'Callaghan

MD writer
Reaction score
About the copy, what Ray said is gold. Be authentic and sharp. Inject your personality and stay on message/delete what isn't necessary.

Good copy isn't hard if you know why you're selling. Great copy... that takes years of practice and study. But only good is required to convert well if the other business elements are intact.

Comment

lovefightwrite

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
alextucker.ca
I haven't had a chance to do any rewrites, but I did switch up my homepage optin today. Here's what it looks like now:

Attachments

• Small Business Digital Marketing for Belleville and Quinte - alextucker.ca.png
    Small Business Digital Marketing for Belleville and Quinte - alextucker.ca.png
    750.6 KB · Views: 6
Comment