Blog Post: How to display them in Tiles

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
How can you have your post display like on the 2 examples below with MD?

Other themes do it automatically, to make sure the boxes are all of the same size. How can we do so and select if we want ONLY the titles to be display (as on the example 2) or the titres and first few lines, etc.

Thanks

View attachment 2515
Or like this:
View attachment 2516

Reaction score
Website
alextucker.ca
To make them tiles I believe you go to WP Admin > Marketer's Delight > Loop > Select Loop and choose "Blocks" from the dropdown.

Below that, in Post Content, if you select "Hide text" from the dropdown it will hide the excerpt. To show the first few lines, select excerpt.

As for making them all the same size, I haven't gotten far enough in my exploration of the theme to answer that. I hope there's an easy way though!

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
To correct @lovefightwrite's otherwise accurate advice, you may be more interested in the Teasers template.

The teasers are vertically aligned with the others in the same row instead of given the same height, an example you can see on the MD blog itself:

Comment

Maikel

MD support
Reaction score
No, we don't have anything like this in MD. Unfortunately i don't know a plugin that can help you either at the moment.

Comment

Maikel

MD support
Reaction score
Yes, you can use teasers, but that's for posts. That's why i said there isn't a way to do this in MD.
If every quote is a post you can use it, but i felt like you just want to put quotes on a page with this layout.

And if you select the teasers template, the design of your blogpost archive pages will have the teaser design as well. You can check out the teaser template if you go to "site design -> Archives -> Loop" and Select the loop teasers. You can select the columns you want:

View attachment 2592

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
@Alex with all the feature ideas as well as the bug reports and innovation I'm sharing here, don't you think I deserve you to get a look at the private message I sent you on this forum? Just saying...

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Ok, wishing you the best cast up ever. I wish you had caught up before I renew my MD license and some domain names. Read on and you should understand... Take care

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
I love these designs and would love to create a loop design like this! I have written it down for inclusion in the MD weekly releases I am gearing up.
1/ Hi @Alex, is it now possible to get such design?

2/ Also, below is the layout of my POSTS. I want to keep them asap, clean (and inky ;) ), with JUST the TEXT.
But I would like to display ALL of my posts as TILES, possibly with a nice picture as a background.

View attachment 2785

May be tiles looking like this but with the possibility to have a picture as a backgroud.
View attachment 2786
Ideally, this would be the dream feature:
  1. Square tiles to display all of the articles
  2. Information blocks available for each tile: post title, short description, Read more button, an # hastag corresponding to the post Category, one image (ideally supporting the GIF or HTML 5 video format to have the tile being ANIMATED.
  3. Possibility to select/deselect the information block in case you just want to have a simple title and a picture (no description, etc.)
  4. Possibility to CONSTRAIN the number of letters for the description to make sure all tiles will AUTOMATICALL display the same.
  5. Possibility to automatically create the background image as a thumbnail out of of the first picture used at the top of the post. A kind of smart automatic crop-resize type of feature.
@Alex , 2 questions:
  1. Out of all this idea, what can we do with MD today?
  2. Can you please the other ones into an Feature Request for MD improvement?
The idea here is to be flexible enough but also drastically gain productivity (and consistency).

Looking forward to your feedback.
Always trying to make MD better while sharing my ideas.

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
The closest to this design you can achieve with MD today (without custom development) is to use the Teasers loop template as per the instructions above. More Loop designs are definitely in the works and we will pull inspiration from these screenshots for sure.

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Great to hear, thanks. I'm never taking deadlines for granted but what's your target deadline for the new design please?

Also, will there be a way to mix posts and pages in such a thumbnails layout? The idea for me would be to "hide" / place a link a to my sale page (think "advertorial") among the posts.

Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Great to hear, thanks. I'm never taking deadlines for granted but what's your target deadline for the new design please?
The MD team and I have been meeting weekly again and starting next week we will officially be back on a weekly release schedule! Our first focus will be on bringing some long awaited enhancements to the Stream, and we will be watching the Suggestions and Feedback forum to make decisions on what to release the next weeks. I suggest you create a thread there with your ideas for these designs so other people can cast votes and help us keep track.

Also, will there be a way to mix posts and pages in such a thumbnails layout? The idea for me would be to "hide" / place a link a to my sale page (think "advertorial") among the posts.
My suggestion would be to use the MD Optins > Call to action feature and place an ad after the Xth post in your Loop. See how @Ray has added an email form after the second post on his blog page. You can do that too, but with a call to action button to your landing page.

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
Our first focus will be on bringing some long awaited enhancements to the Stream,
I shared so many ideas about the Stream that I have no idea which ones you will adopt or not. I know we had some debate here and I was a fierce promoter of adding social feedback/comments to the stream.

I just love what @Ray has done. On my market, I would just love to have people being able to comment my micro post. That's how I would best capture their interest for this or that topic, enable them to join the dialog, express their thoughts, and get a better idea of my ideal avatar. Priceless.

Can you share any hint about what I can hope? Feel free to do it privately if you want to keep this secret, you know yo ucan trust me after all those years and discussions.

Reactions: Ray
Comment

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
I will say for now that comments are absolutely a part of the new Stream update. You will be pleased with this update.

Reactions: Ray
Comment