'Above The Fold' Superstars!

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
The space 'above the fold' is (often) regarded as the most valuable real-estate on a website. So in this thread, I want to highlight the best ATF examples in the MD community. Perhaps you can find a little inspiration for your website designs as well.
. . .

My first entry comes from Cameron Dares personal website camerondare.com
Camerons messaging is direct, his call-to-actions are clear, and the design is simple/uncluttered—with no wasted space.

I'm pretty sure @Alex had a hand in this design, so maybe he'll add his two cents later today, but what do you guys think? Are there elements of this design that you'd like to implement on your site(s)? If so, which ones?

@Some French Dude @gauravtiwari @Ivan Brezak Brkan, @bobgentle @amalseed you guys are pretty active in the forums, so I'd love to know what you think of Camerons 'Above The Fold' design, and if/how you think it can be improved.

cameron_dare.png

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
I've always liked this page. Your use of an image is a classic, eye-catcher. They say an image is worth 1000 words, so with the right image, you're able to say so much without having to write it.

I'd love to see you change that image, depending on what's happening in your niche at that time.

Your CTA is clear and your Green, Red, and white color scheme is a very calming combination.

BTW, @Some French Dude , reply with a link to your website so we can all check it out and have the full experience.

Comment

Some French Dude

SomeFrenchDude
Reaction score
The link was on the word "mine" in my previous message, but here it is again:

You'll see The Stream in context. I am yet to exploit the new Stream and see what it might change... or not.

I'd love to see you change that image, depending on what's happening in your niche at that time.
Not sure what I should understand here. The overall impression on you seem to be one of peace and zen. This is exactly what my niche is about: Meditation, self-massages and taoist wellness techniques to practice at home.

Comment

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Hey MDers. Feast your eyes on one of the most eye-catching 'About pages' you'll find in the MD universe.

g GAURAV TIWARI.png

In this week's edition of 'Above the Fold' we're highlighting @gauravtiwari's use of color and purpose to create a great experience for his visitors.

His about page is a great example of grabbing + holding your attention while presenting a clear message and Call-to-Action. I especially love the navigation below Guarav's bio, as it extends his about page by offering sub-sections of his profile.

While red is clearly the brand color for this website, @gauravtiwari really "goes for it" on the about page. Red is just one of those colors that makes you stop and look—and in my opinion, Gaurav accomplishes just that.

Hey @Alex, since you seem to have an affinity for the color red (MD.com, alexmangini.com, kolakube.com, bloggussion.com, etc.), perhaps you can weigh-in and give us your take on Guarav's design and layout.

Anyway, I hope you're able to draw inspiration for your next project.

Comment

Ray

MD advocate
Reaction score
Website
library66.com
Hey MD fam! It's that time again! I'm back with the last entry in my 'Above the Fold' series.

Today I'm going to talk about everyone's favorite French Dude and his website, osteoshiatsu.fr

SomeFrenchDude.png

When you land on this page, there is no confusion as to what @Some French Dude wants you to do.

Enter your first name, best email, and then "become complete"

The call to action is compelling and on-brand. The color-scheme gives off positive energy and the image used for the opt-in form is perfect for the personal growth/emotional well-being niche.

So, that was my comment a couple of weeks ago, and I'd like to clarify my statement.

I think the image you're using is excellent, however, as a way to stand out (even more) from your competition, I think you should rotate the image with (other) pictures that convey peace, positivity, and wellness.

My thinking is: if it's New Year's Eve, perhaps your image can reflect the feeling and celebration of the New Year. Or if/when global COVID cases drop below XX%, you could post an image that conveys healing and renewal.

The second part of that thought is, you can probably add a revenue stream by rotating your optin-form image. Sounds a little crazy, but trust me, I (used-to) get paid very well to come up with monetization strategies, and this one is a pretty good one.

Option #1. Allow photographers to submit their images for weekly or monthly placement (for a fee). It's almost like a banner ad except it's discrete, tasteful, and on-brand.

So let's say I'm a photographer and I have an image that would be perfect for your site. I can reach out to you with a description of the image and of course the picture itself.

I'd give you permission to use it for a week or two or whatever. In exchange, you would add a small blurb/description/accreditation of that image to the welcome email or thank you page for new subscribers.

Lastly, you would charge $5/day or $1/day or $50/day depending on your traffic and daily signup stats.
*You can also reach out to photographers in the beginning to get the word out.

I will be offering something similar to photographers, graphic designers, and comic artists for the Library66 Newsletter once I hit 2000 subs.

Optio #2. Take your own pics, and offer it as a postcard that subscribers can purchase. So each week you put up a new pic. Then at the end of the week, you offer a postcard version of the image that was displayed 'Above the Fold'. You can also offer to sell postcards of other people's photos or even license your image to bigger brands. The licensing angle would be very lucrative, but that's something you can consider once you're a big enough player in your niche.

This can be a very good way to monetize your blog, while still conveying the feeling of peace, calm, mindfulness, well-being, and balance. The best part is, since you would be offering this postcard to your subscribers, you won't have any advertising costs and your only expense would be printing the postcards—which can be done via a print-on-demand service—which means, no upfront costs.

I will be offering something similar on my personal site, starting on Jan. 1, 2021. I'll probably change pics monthly, but you get the idea.

Anyway, I think this is another great above the fold example, and thank you for letting me use your site.

I appreciate everyone who has viewed, commented, liked, and shared this thread.

See you around the forums.

Last edited:
Comment