Changing from a Pagebuilder Heavy Site

lovefightwrite

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
alextucker.ca
Hey folks, I just bought MD and am experimenting with it locally while I prep my Divi webiste for the switch. I know this is going to be a hassle, but I think I have a good plan:
  1. Make sure all blog posts are pure gutenberg, no Divi builder shortcodes.
  2. Create a staging site to switch theme
  3. Change the theme on the staging site along with any necessary plugin changes
  4. Either rebuild static pages in gutenberg or install Divi builder plugin as a temporary solution
  5. Check all plugins still work and do a manual check on desktop and mobile for anything not working
  6. Push the staging site live (after backing up the live site of course)
  7. Re-submit sitemap to GSC to ensure links are still working
  8. Pray to Google I don't lose my rankings in the process
What do you think of this plan? Should I add/remove/change any of the steps?

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Bold move! What was the final straw that led you to switch away from Divi?

It sounds like you have a solid plan and one suggestion I have (though more advanced) is to also clean out your database table of any old Divi/plugin options that have been leftover. Specifically you will want to take a look at the wp_options table which is checked on every page load and is the key to an optimized database.

Other than that I hope you keep us update with your progress, and of course if you run into any problems we are here to help. :D

Maikel

MD support
Reaction score
Great plan indeed.

One suggestion more:
I don't know if you added any tracking scripts and in what way you added them. Just make sure you migrate them to MD if you added them within your old theme.

It's also fun to see what the speed of your website is doing when you're switching. Test it before and after. I dare to say MD makes it faster then Divi. :)

lovefightwrite

MD customer
Reaction score
Website
alextucker.ca
Bold move! What was the final straw that led you to switch away from Divi?

It sounds like you have a solid plan and one suggestion I have (though more advanced) is to also clean out your database table of any old Divi/plugin options that have been leftover. Specifically you will want to take a look at the wp_options table which is checked on every page load and is the key to an optimized database.

Other than that I hope you keep us update with your progress, and of course if you run into any problems we are here to help. :D
Thanks for the tip! I have LSCache installed, will its database cleaning function do this for me?

There wasn't really any last straw with Divi, I like it... but MD just seems like the ideal theme for my website, which is mainly a marketing blog. Divi to me is more appropriate for big eCommerce sites, sites that need a lot of resources anyways. I'd like to keep my site as lightweight as possible for the SEO advantage and also so I can afford to add extra plugins when and if I need them.
Great plan indeed.

One suggestion more:
I don't know if you added any tracking scripts and in what way you added them. Just make sure you migrate them to MD if you added them within your old theme.

It's also fun to see what the speed of your website is doing when you're switching. Test it before and after. I dare to say MD makes it faster then Divi. :)
I have a couple scripts integrated through Google Tag Manager... I'm not sure if there's an easy way to integrate JS with the head and body of Marketer's Delight, if not it'll be my first hopeful feature request :)

Alex

MD developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! I have LSCache installed, will its database cleaning function do this for me?
I have never used it but I am leaning towards no. A plugin doesn't truly have a way of knowing when you are done with database tables and unless the developer was thorough enough to write a solid uninstall process, so chances are you have some orphaned options that could be cleaned up.

Are they really causing that much trouble? In a world where we cache our pages heavily, probably not. But are they there taking up space, driving performance freaks like myself and many of my clients crazy? Yes :D and that's the only reason I am advocating for it here.

I am slightly embarrassed to share this video I made about since it is so old, but it has some good information that can help you should you decide to go this route:

There wasn't really any last straw with Divi, I like it... but MD just seems like the ideal theme for my website, which is mainly a marketing blog. Divi to me is more appropriate for big eCommerce sites, sites that need a lot of resources anyways. I'd like to keep my site as lightweight as possible for the SEO advantage and also so I can afford to add extra plugins when and if I need them.
It's important to use the right tool for the right job and while we are building MD for more use cases and to replace page builders, we recognize they currently serve an important purpose albeit how much horrendous overhead they add to your site.

I have a couple scripts integrated through Google Tag Manager... I'm not sure if there's an easy way to integrate JS with the head and body of Marketer's Delight, if not it'll be my first hopeful feature request :)
Check out the MD > Integrations panel for any supported services, otherwise you can go to MD > Settings > Tracking Scripts to insert scripts throughout your site globally. For individual pages and categories, you can go to the "Tracking Scripts" meta boxes for the same options.